+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, After Effects and local Disks in Technical; Hi, We have a bunch of Apples, but mostly Windows machines, so I'm probably doing things the 'wrong way'. Anyway, ...
    Thank Post

After Effects and local Disks

Hi,

We have a bunch of Apples, but mostly Windows machines, so I'm probably doing things the 'wrong way'.

Anyway, we have After Effects (plus the rest of the Master colleection too), and the students are having some small problems with it. Every time they open it they get a message saying that the Cache disk is on a network drive (or something like this, the exact error message shas escaped me), but it causes them slowness apparently. The users home folder is redirected to their Windows AD account home folder, whcih is the way we want it for most things.

So what I tried to do was move the cache disk from the own folder to the local machines drive, but I've obviously not doing this the Apple way.

What I did was create a folder on the local disk called 'Cache' and then put in the relevant folders 'Media', MediaDB' and 'Disk', then I told AE to use these three folders as the Cache disks. It works for me, so I though I'll copy the .plist file for AE to all the users, slight error was the folder didn't exist on all the machines, so I logged into a couple, and created them, which worked for me. Then when I logged into it as a demo student account, this user doesn't have the required permission to access the folders.

Now I could logon to all the machines, and change the security of this bunch of folders manually, but I'd rather not.

What should I have done, and is there anyway I could script this through the logon ?

I'd also like to have any other Cache folders stored locally, and I suspect there will be a way to do this, that doesn't involve me going around all the computers. We do have an Image of the Computers, which I could do the changes on, but we found that the Adobe Master collection didn't like being deployed like this, so we install it after the re-image.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Ah, I figured it out, I was doing it wrong.

In case anyone else is having the same issues, there's a setting within the 'Workgroup Manager' that allows selective redirection of some folders and not others. So, whilst we have the general User folders redirected to the students home drive (from windows) as \\servername\share\username, we now have un-redirected the ~/Library/Cache to the local disk.

Instructions here.

Thank Post
    You can redirect the cache to the local machine using a manage preference. It creates a symbolic link redirecting ~/Library/Cache to the local tmp folder. I found the following article on how to do it. OS X Network Home Folder Redirection « House of Mac

Ross

4. Thanks to Rozzer from:

3s-gtech (15th March 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread