+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac AntiVirus - (Testing & Reviewing 14 Mac Antivirus Apps) in Technical; I'm currently in the middle of testing and reviewing 14 Mac Anti Virus applications and curious what everyone else is ...
    Thank Post

Mac AntiVirus - (Testing & Reviewing 14 Mac Antivirus Apps)

I'm currently in the middle of testing and reviewing 14 Mac Anti Virus applications and curious what everyone else is using for either home or work use? As we are an education institution we are mandated to have AntiVirus in place even if one thinks it's not required.

My testing consists of the following applications and each install is on a fresh image/partition so there is no interference of having more than one on the same OS/Install:
    • ProtectMac
    • MacScan
    • Kaspersky
    • Avast (Beta)
    • BitDefender
    • Panda Security
    • Symantic
    • Intego
    • Sophos
    • MacKeeper
    • McAfee
    • iAntiVirus
    • ClamXAV
    • ESET

Quick shot of partitions with a fresh image on each of OS X Lion 10.7.3

DyfcR.jpg
    Last edited by Carter; 28th February 2012 at 04:49 PM.

2. Thanks to Carter from:

speckytecky (8th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    My testing consists of the following applications
    Would you be able to test ESET CyberSecurity if it's not too late?

We do not currently use any anti-virus software on our Mac's, but if we had to install one, it would probably be ESET's based on what NOD32 is like on Windows.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

We do not currently use any anti-virus software on our Mac's, but if we had to install one, it would probably be ESET's based on what NOD32 is like on Windows.
    I'll download their trial. They were one of the many companies I contacted but know body responded so I had left them out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    probably not a good suggestion but deep freeze for mac --> Deep Freeze Enterprise

Deep Freeze für Mac

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    probably not a good suggestion but deep freeze for mac --> Deep Freeze Enterprise

Deep Freeze für Mac
    Great suggestion but we actually already run it and still require Mac AntiVirus. Deep Freeze is a life saver but depending on a setup it cannot protect against all Spyware and Viruses.

Great mention though!!! This will be my next project over the next year to see if I can find a way to not use DeepFreeze with scripts or an alternate program as it's very pricy.

Tks!

Thank Post
    Vipre as per there FAQ :

GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business - FAQs

Question: Does VIPRE Antivirus Business protect Mac platforms?
    Answer: Yes. We have a Mac client available, which supports OS X versions 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and 10.7 (Lion).

Thank Post
    Vipre as per there FAQ :

GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business - FAQs
    I would look at it but their site has nothing showing that it has a Mac product. May say they do but be great if they have a link on their site rather than having to contact them to find it or ask for a trial?

Thank Post
    Think you have to click the trial button and register / sign up for it and then select to download the client for OS X ??

Not sure if @Millgate or @CPLTD can shed any light on the OS X Vipre Client trial ?

Thank Post
    Think you have to click the trial button and register / sign up for it and then select to download the client for OS X ??

Not sure if @Millgate or @CPLTD can shed any light on the OS X Vipre Client trial ?
    Registered and went to download the Business solution but it's just a .eve Windows install.

I will not be contacting the site. If they can not put the Mac version openly on the website with information then they do not take the Mac version seriously which will be a waste of time to track down. Maybe down the road if they are really going to publicize it and put it out there.

Thanks for the mention though!! They may have it in beta or something.

Thank Post
    They may have it in beta or something.
    I was going to mention VIPRE too, but thought better of it when I saw that it was not available for home users yet...

www.gfi.com/blog/vipre-mac/

12. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (28th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Did you consider testing GateKeeper in OS X Mountain Lion, or is it a bit too early for that?

As we are an education institution we are mandated to have anti-virus in place even if one thinks it's not required.
    Wouldn't XProtect be enough, or is the Mac anti-virus' main purpose to detect Windows viruses and trojans?

They were one of the many companies I contacted but know body responded so I had left them out.
    Are the anti-virus apps listed in your first post all full versions and what will you be testing?

Thank Post
    I was going to mention VIPRE too, but thought better of it when I saw that it was not available for home users yet...

www.gfi.com/blog/vipre-mac/

I was able to sit in a chat session and talked to someone and I now have a download of the product for testing. Thanks for the info, I will add it to the list

Thank Post
    Did you consider testing GateKeeper in OS X Mountain Lion, or is it a bit too early for that?
    I'm sure GateKeeper will be a great addition to security in OS X ML but it will not be able to protect against all applications. Not all are via the App Store so not sure how it will work outside of the realm

Wouldn't XProtect be enough, or is the Mac anti-virus' main purpose to detect Windows viruses and trojans?
    I had brought up the OS X security enhancements in the past couple years but the auditors still say we need to have something in place. As they say, better to have something in place even if it's never needed. That said I may have to do more research into it and see what I can come up with and see if it would make them happy. DeepFreeze and XProject would be good enough IMO but for those machines that are not using DeepFreeze will Xproject handle all Virus and Spyware is the question. If Apple wants to pust XProject as a Malware/Spyware & Virus solution they need to put some real steam behind it and push it to the public!

Are the anti-virus apps listed in your first post all full versions and what will you be testing?
    The first thing I've been looking at for each solution which is one of the top key features is "Scheduling". Where we run DeepFreeze, if we do not have fine grain scheduling it will make the product obsolete and useless.

With the scheduling I'm looking at ease of install, user interface & options ..... and of course once I have it down to a select few it will then come down to pricing of course lol

Thank Post

Just wondering, why did you say it would probably be ESET?

Thank Post
    Just wondering, why did you say it would probably be ESET?
    Having used NOD32 on Windows PCs both at home and at school, I can't think of anything bad to say about it (or even ESET themselves). It does its job extremely well, is easy to manage and doesn't slow your computer down to a crawl or nag you every five minutes (like Norton or many of the free anti-virus programs do).

Hopefully CyberSecurity will be just as good as its Windows counterpart?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast