+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac AntiVirus - (Testing & Reviewing 14 Mac Antivirus Apps) in Technical; Btw, if you need some Windows viruses and trojans to test the Mac A/V with, the Malware Domain List is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Btw, if you need some Windows viruses and trojans to test the Mac A/V with, the Malware Domain List is a good place to start.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I have to say having recently purchased a site license for Avast I've been really happy with it. In terms of previous A/V i've used It has been a hell of a lot simpler to install/manage compared with both sophos/mcrappy.

I did look at trend and Vipre but for features and cost Avast won hands down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I was able to sit in a chat session and talked to someone and I now have a download of the product for testing. Thanks for the info, I will add it to the list

Any chance you can let us know how Vipre vs Eset are compared to each other. I would be interested in Vipre for home user ( but as per your link states only for business use sigh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Any chance you can let us know how Vipre vs Eset are compared to each other. I would be interested in Vipre for home user ( but as per your link states only for business use sigh
    I did test Viper and certainly not on my radar of a top product. It's a very simple product if that's what you want but for us it would not work. Scheduling of program and definitions with a fine grain schedule is the big thing for us which this does not have plus seems very consumer based compared to other products.

5. Thanks to Carter from:

mac_shinobi (29th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I talked to a Rep today and the home Consumer version is scheduled for this year. They have spent a lot of time beefing up the Windows client and now soon the Mac client.

I will be talking to a Rep and an engineer on Monday to go through the product more. They want to know my thoughts and feedback to see if they can help out and see if the product can be adjusted to meet our needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I talked to a Rep today and the home Consumer version is scheduled for this year. They have spent a lot of time beefing up the Windows client and now soon the Mac client.

I will be talking to a Rep and an engineer on Monday to go through the product more. They want to know my thoughts and feedback to see if they can help out and see if the product can be adjusted to meet our needs.
    That would be great because Vipre is meant to be really good. Not to say the other ones are pants as am sure Eset and others are good too. But also good that they are quick to the mark to ask and talk to you about what you think they could do to improve it and work with you on it.

Would be good if they both had a console on both platforms that was the same to navigate and would allow you to

* Schedule when updates are done
    * Remotely install the client and update

Along with all the other features the console gives you to ensure all clients are the latest version and latest AV Defs etc etc

Thank Post
    Just wait a while and get the new OS X. The viruses won't run unless you buy them from the AppStore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Btw, if you need some Windows viruses and trojans to test the Mac A/V with, the Malware Domain List is a good place to start.
    Windows is a paid for virus, isn't it ?? Quite an expensive one at that too !!
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 1st March 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Just wait a while and get the new OS X. The viruses won't run unless you buy them from the AppStore.
    I don't have much faith in this as here are many applications out there that do not run through the app store. I know many will run through the app store and register for the Developer ID but this is not a full brick wall to guard against malware/viruses. This is a great tool to help build more secure applications but there will. E ways around it

Thank Post
    Out of interest, who mandates that you must have anti-virus software on your Macs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Wouldn't XProtect be enough, or is the Mac anti-virus' main purpose to detect Windows viruses and trojans?
    Did this project name change? Your link did explain it as Apple related but now the Wiki link is a video product?

Thank Post
    That's interesting. The Xprotect Wikipedia page used to look like this. Now there is no reference to it in relation to Mac's at all.

Thank Post
    Hmm, that's crazy! Also can't seem to find much online through Google.

Thank Post
    For info more than anything else, but Avira released a beta version of their new Mac anti-virus app today called Avira Free Mac Security.

16. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (8th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    In light of recent news, do you have any more progress on this project?

BBC News - Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast