+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Imaging Bootcamp in Technical; We've just bought 4 iMacs for our Art dept (they're study machines, with built in wireless (no network ports in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries

Imaging Bootcamp

We've just bought 4 iMacs for our Art dept (they're study machines, with built in wireless (no network ports in the room) and minimal things to be broken on them), and I now want to set them up as bootcamp machines, with Windows XP on them.

As I can't use Fog to image the bootcamp partitions, does anyone have a way to image those partitions? I've seen 'Winclone' but as it is not free, and we're in our 'no orders allowed' period until April, I'm kinda stuck and need to get them working soon.

Anyone else image their bootcamp partitions?

Thank Post
    Deploystudio is what you need.

Home

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We've just bought 4 iMacs for our Art dept and I now want to set them up as bootcamp machines, with Windows XP on them.
    This could be interesting.. We just had another 8 iMacs shipped with Lion, which presumably yours will be too, which only gave us the option to install Windows 7 on a bootcamp partition. Not sure if there is a way around that though, but I suppose you will find out soon enough! Back on topic we use Deploystudio, but you'd ideally need a mac server for it to be most effective. Gives us a pm if you need to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yup, seems XP will simply not go on them... So, for now they're going to just run as 'guest access' machines, until summer when we will be moving to Windows 7 across the site.

When we do that, we'll also be putting in a Mac server to properly integrate our macs with the active directory.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    WinClone is another alternative I have seen mentioned before --> Winclone - RoaringApps

Although currently may be issues with OS X Lion as per the site.

Thank Post
    Yup, seems XP will simply not go on them...
    That's pretty cheeky on Apple's behalf, especially seeing as so many schools still run XP and plan to for a few more years. You're probably best waiting til summer when you can get a mac server installed too imo. From my experience with them (only 2 years managing a mac/bootcamp environment, so don't take me TOO seriously :P) it can be a pain to get things set up because it's so much different but once it is, requires little to no management at all.

Thank Post
    Yup, seems XP will simply not go on them... So, for now they're going to just run as 'guest access' machines, until summer when we will be moving to Windows 7 across the site.

When we do that, we'll also be putting in a Mac server to properly integrate our macs with the active directory.
    After a little bit of work, i managed to get windows xp working on our late 2011 imacs, if you do want to do this, drop me a pm

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ste1988 View Post
    After a little bit of work, i managed to get windows xp working on our late 2011 imacs, if you do want to do this, drop me a pm
    If possible you could put a guide together and post it in pdf format here - will help others later on if they google or find the thread or maybe even wiki it on EG ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If possible you could put a guide together and post it in pdf format here - will help others later on if they google or find the thread or maybe even wiki it on EG ?
    Yeah no problem, what are the rules for posting drivers/links to drivers etc?

Thank Post

I was able to install XP on my late 2008 Macbook with Lion. Is this a hardware or software restriction? When I ran the bootcamp wizard, i just used an XP disc instead of a Windows 7 disc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ste1988 View Post
    Yeah no problem, what are the rules for posting drivers/links to drivers etc?
    As long as they are from legitimate and safe sources ... I don't think it is an issue.

Thank Post
    Surprised you got XP to work on that hardware - many manufacturers are not easily supplying drivers for their new hardware for it now (though sometimes Vista drivers etc may work). I remember having issues with a Toshiba tablet a few years back, must be even harder now.

Thank Post
    It took a lot of trial and error, i tired many different ways, and ended up rebuilding the bootcamp several times before i got the right drivers and installed everything in the right order, needless to say though i will be waiting for us to move to windows 7 before i buy any more apple hardware. I am just preparing a guide as we speak, should hopefully get it posted tonight with drivers etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Guide Here Installing Windows XP on Late 2011 iMac

Thank Post
    Not sure if this still works. To install the Bootcamp drivers using the msi in Windows server 2003 you could open the msi file in orca and change the setting which tells the msi to only run on a valid OS. It may be able to do the same for the win 7 only msi. But the drivers would need to be XP compatible.

I will see if I can find the URL.

edit: Can't find the guide I used but you just remove the WinXP requirement.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-273101.html
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 5th March 2012 at 10:48 AM.

16. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

ste1988 (5th March 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast