+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Magic Triangle, How? in Technical; Hi, I have been a Mac user for years now but have never touched Mac server before and we have ...
    Thank Post

Question Magic Triangle, How?

Hi,

I have been a Mac user for years now but have never touched Mac server before and we have just got a Mac Mini server to accompany some new iMacs. The stage I am at so far with the server is, I've plugged it in, clicked next a couple of times, got to the desktop, updated it. Where do I go from here to create a Magic Triangle setup?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by CallumCatterall; 24th February 2012 at 06:18 AM.

Thank Post
    This is fairly well documented on here if you search. In basic terms (as you haven't told us which OS you are running):

In Server Admin, set the server to be "Connected to a Directory System". Join your AD domain. You then promote your server to be an Open Directory Master to provide directory / MCX info to your Mac clients.

On the client, you open Directory Utility, bind to your Active Directory domain, then enter the the path to your Open Directory Master in the search path, but do not bind. In the Search Path setting, your AD server will need to be first in line to allow authentication, with your OD Master second. Under the settings for AD you probably want to uncheck "Create local home on startup volume" if you want you users to have a network home directory (roaming profile). If your home directory server is Windows based (ie, not HFS+ format), iPhoto will not work....random info there.

This will allow you to authenticate against your AD, mount a home folder, and get preferences to lock down your Macs.

I appreciate my response is very vague, but if you can come back with some specifics we can help you out further.

3. 2 Thanks to iSteve:

CallumCatterall (24th February 2012), speckytecky (24th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
    This is fairly well documented on here if you search. In basic terms (as you haven't told us which OS you are running):...
    Just one quick question, when Im setting up to be the Open Directory master do I change the Kerberos Realm to MYWINDOWSDOMAIN.local rather then SVR-MAC01.local? And do I change the LDAP Search Base to dc=mywindowsdomain,dc=local rather then dc=svr-mac01,dc=local? Thanks.

EDIT: I just tried this both ways and each time I get a spinning wheel at the bottom saying 'Creating Open Directory master' (see picture).

Screen Shot 2012-02-25 at 21.48.41.png

If I force close out of server admin because of the spinning wheel it does not create the 'diradmin' account, any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by CallumCatterall; 26th February 2012 at 03:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumCatterall View Post
    If I close out of server admin it does not create the 'diradmin' account, any help would be much appreciated!
    The 'diradmin' user can also be created through the Server app (/Applications/Server.app). More info here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The 'diradmin' user can also be created through the Server app (/Applications/Server.app). More info here....
    Hi, thanks for that. Is there any reason that it doesn't do it automatically? Also could you help me with my other question, about the Kerberos Realm and LDAP Search Base? Really appreciate your help!

Thank Post
    Just an update, as I was doing this for testing in a VM I only gave it a single core, I added another one and tried again and it worked perfectly! Thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    If you have an AD connection already in place for your mac server before you promote it to an OD master it should automatically kerberise the services using the AD Kerberos realm. At least that's what used to happen in 10.6

I haven't tried a magic triangle setup under 10.7 yet. But I assume the process is the same.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    If you have an AD connection already in place for your mac server before you promote it to an OD master...
    Hi, It was already bound to the AD domain before I setup the OD master, am I right in saying that it should be the same as the AD domain as now it is using the Mac server name in for the LDAP and Kerberos and it does work... Thanks!

Thank Post
    If you list the services in terminal it will tell you which kerberos realm that they have been kerberised with. The command is:-

sudo klist -kt

It needs to be run on the server. Again I need to point out that I am doing this on a 10.6 server and assuming that the process is the same. Try at your own risk on a live server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread