+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Mac Thread, Apple Remote Desktop on Ebay in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49

    Apple Remote Desktop on Ebay

    We need this, and compared to buying from Apple or anywhere else, Ebay is so much cheaper for an unlimited systems sealed copy. Assuming my school is ok with purchasing from Ebay, are there any caveats or problems with licensing if buying this on Ebay?

    Just seems madness paying £3-400 when on Ebay its around £130-150

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,177
    Thank Post
    235
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,029 Posts
    Rep Power
    803
    ARD costs £54.99 (£45.83 ex. VAT) on the Mac App Store.

    Not sure about the license however.

  3. #3

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,863
    Thank Post
    3,384
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 987 Posts
    Rep Power
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    ARD costs £54.99 (£45.83 ex. VAT) on the Mac App Store.

    Not sure about the license however.
    Now If I had several Intel based macs that would come in handy but I don't have that much money

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    We need this, and compared to buying from Apple or anywhere else, Ebay is so much cheaper for an unlimited systems sealed copy. Assuming my school is ok with purchasing from Ebay, are there any caveats or problems with licensing if buying this on Ebay?

    Just seems madness paying £3-400 when on Ebay its around £130-150
    Do you just need to control/observe other macs remotely? If so, you could always use ScreenSharing.app that's installed by default on osx. If you need to install remote apps/run remote commands then ARD is the way forward. We have an unlimited license for it and it's truly great, puts shame to RDP if you don't mind me saying!

  5. #5


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,177
    Thank Post
    235
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,029 Posts
    Rep Power
    803
    It looks like Apple have removed the limitations in the Mac App Store version of ARD. You can manage an unlimited number of Mac's.

    blog.brocklebank.info/journal/2011/1/14/apple-remote-desktop-is-a-bargain-on-mac-app-store-37101-off.html

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It looks like Apple have removed the limitations in the Mac App Store version of ARD. You can manage an unlimited number of Mac's.

    blog.brocklebank.info/journal/2011/1/14/apple-remote-desktop-is-a-bargain-on-mac-app-store-37101-off.html
    Interesting. Now that was the main reason why I didnt consider that at first, it was ambiguous and I just assumed it would be limited to 10.

    Still not very clear, but might be worth a go. Not purchased anything from the app store before, would I have to make sure the account that bought it was logged in at all times? Like for every teacher?

    To be honest I might just give it a go anyway and see what happens

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,177
    Thank Post
    235
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,029 Posts
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Still not very clear, but might be worth a go. Not purchased anything from the app store before, would I have to make sure the account that bought it was logged in at all times? Like for every teacher?
    The only time you will need to enter your Apple ID is at the time of purchase and every time there is an update.

    Will you be installing ARD on a Mac server?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Remote Desktop on W8
    By LeMarchand in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st November 2011, 03:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th August 2010, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th May 2008, 07:34 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st February 2006, 01:04 AM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12th September 2005, 04:52 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •