+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Lion Server Problems Enrolling iPads - Certificate Error in Technical; I'm trying to set up a very basic internally managed iPad trolley, we have 16 iPads and a Lion Mac ...

Thank Post

Question Lion Server Problems Enrolling iPads - Certificate Error

I'm trying to set up a very basic internally managed iPad trolley, we have 16 iPads and a Lion Mac Mini Server.

Today was our first install day and I'm stuck with a couple of errors that I get on the iPads when I try to enroll them.

I've already gone through various threads and followed a few peoples advice on re-creating Open Directory + certs to no avail.

At the moment there are 2 certs that I can use - The first being the one that Profile Manager made when creating Open Directory and the second being a self signed cert that I created manually afterward. I get a different error depending on which cert I use.

The auto created OD one comes back with "Invalid Profile"

The self signed cert comes back with "The server certificate for "https://nhmacserver01.domainname.co.uk/devicemanagement/api/device/ota_service" is invalid.

As I don't have my SSL cert signed by 3rd party I have been installing the "Trust Profile" before Enrolling.

I have thoroughly checked DNS and all is okay on that front, is there anything else I could of overlooked here?

On the server the auto created OD cert comes up as trusted whereas the self signed one does not so I suspect that the auto created one is the way forward..

I am back on site again tomorrow so can post up any additional details that might give you guys a better idea of where i've got to.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Martin

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_hannah View Post
    As I don't have my SSL cert signed by 3rd party I have been installing the "Trust Profile" before Enrolling.
    According to this article, you can get a free SSL certificate from StartCom. They are the only company that offer free certificates for iOS devices from what I can tell.

The first thing that Lion Server really, really wants you to do is set a hostname for your machine and get an SSL certificate. While iMac.local had served me well, this wouldn’t do for a server. I therefore created a subdomain of my main domain as a CNAME record and pointed it to a dynamic DNS hostname I use to actually reach my home network. I then created a legitimate SSL certificate using startcom’s awesome free SSL certificate service. This was as straightforward as creating an SSL certificate gets (not very, but doable). With my shiny certificate installed, I set forth to explore my new server.

Thank Post

invalidate certificate enrolling on mountain lion server

Martin
    Could you resolve your enrollment problem that you had?

I'm trying to set up a very basic internally managed iPad trolley, we have 16 iPads and a Lion Mac Mini Server.

Today was our first install day and I'm stuck with a couple of errors that I get on the iPads when I try to enroll them.

I've already gone through various threads and followed a few peoples advice on re-creating Open Directory + certs to no avail.

At the moment there are 2 certs that I can use - The first being the one that Profile Manager made when creating Open Directory and the second being a self signed cert that I created manually afterward. I get a different error depending on which cert I use.

The self signed cert comes back with "The server certificate for "https://nhmacserver01.domainname.co.uk/devicemanagement/api/device/ota_service" is invalid.

I have thoroughly checked DNS and all is okay on that front, is there anything else I could of overlooked here?

On the server the auto created OD cert comes up as trusted whereas the self signed one does not so I suspect that the auto created one is the way forward..

I am back on site again tomorrow so can post up any additional details that might give you guys a better idea of where i've got to.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Martin

Thank Post
    Martin,

all you need to do is go to http://servername/mydevices and install the trust profile and allow the certificate error or get your certificates signed or even self sign. There is a guide from apple on doing this for use with Profile Manager.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Martin

Thank Post
    Jdell
    i tried that , it install ok( the trust profile) but in the moment to enroll it still received the message that the certificate is invalid

Quote Originally Posted by jdell View Post
    Martin,

all you need to do is go to http://servername/mydevices and install the trust profile and allow the certificate error or get your certificates signed or even self sign. There is a guide from apple on doing this for use with Profile Manager.

Thank Post
    I have the same issue. I don't know what to do...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread