+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Firefox on Macs in Technical; We are using a MacOS X Server to manage the mac desktops which are authenticated by a Windows 2003 Server. ...
    Thank Post

Firefox on Macs

We are using a MacOS X Server to manage the mac desktops which are authenticated by a Windows 2003 Server. One of the nice things about this is that the Mac server provides the proxy settings (amongst other things!)

However, Safari doesn't work through our ISP and the ISP haven't got a solution yet. In the meantime we are trying to use Firefox 2.0.0.4. The problem with this is that the proxy settings aren't carried across to it by the server. Does anyone know if there is a way of setting the proxy settings (and other settings for that matter) so that they are set for all users?

Thank Post

Re: Firefox on Macs

Manky solution: use an inline transparent proxy
    Less Manky: Use a proxy pac and wpad

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

IIRC there is a .plist for this ...

Off to search macenterprise.org

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The file you want is in the firefox profile.

~/library/application support/firefox/profiles/<blurb>.default/prefs.js

The entries are network.proxy.http and .http_port. I am not too sure which one sets the proxy on and off but a bit of trial and error should help with that.

You put this in to a user template (search for Roberto's instructions on this) or copy it in as a login hook.

HTH

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

We're sticking with firefox and (needless to say) rolling with the template method at my place. Works very well. Safari just doesn't seem to play terribly nicely with MS ISA server regardless of how you populate it with the proxy address (Or possibly more likely, ISA server doesn't play nice with anything except IE and open source projects that have deconstructed how it does this, such as firefox)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ISA can work with other browsers than IE - the big problem is that the "normal" way to configure IE is to use NTLM authentication and this is what doesn't work well with most software.

Why use it if it only works with IE? Well, it works well with IE so that's what you should use :-) Seriously, it's completely transparent to the user - they don't get prompted for username and password but the proxy knows who they are and can log the username etc.

If you don't need to know who's using the machine then you can allow anonymous access from your machines. If you don't have a lot of Macs and can live with not having logs of who did what (just what machine did what) then I'd allocate a range of IP addresses to the Macs and then allow that range to have anonymous access to the ISA server

Thank Post

I have had problems with putting out the firefox proxy settings. But i will give that suggestion a try grumbledook

Ross

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by srochford
    Why use it if it only works with IE? Well, it works well with IE so that's what you should use :-) Seriously, it's completely transparent to the user - they don't get prompted for username and password but the proxy knows who they are and can log the username etc.
    Hey Steve, not spoke to you in a while, hope all is well!

We're happy enough with ISA server, a bit of a pain with the macs (which switching to firefox cured anyway) but then these make up a very small portion indeed of what is otherwise a Windows-based network. I can't remember if I changed the authentication method on ISA server to accommodate the macs though, I remember having a look at it but can't remember if I edited anything or not with this in mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's a combination of the methods Roberto uses and stuff I was shown by Matt Jens at Toucan Computing.

This is the sort of thing (by user settings) that would be handy to include in the 'how-to' guide.

I forgot to add that if users already have a profile for firefox you would have to delete it so it picks up the user template or substitute the file you want in place of the existing file.

It all depends on whether they have put in lots of books marks and you want them to keep them I suppose. It would be nice if there was a .plist for this that could be manipulated via WGM.

Thank Post

*blink*
    THAT's a bit naughty. Seems FireFox on the Mac uses .ini files to hold config info. Now I've seen it all.

Anyway, seems to me that if you were doing a reload of the prefs with a login script, you could add a few lines to parse the contents of ~/library/application support/Firefox/* and grab the bookmarks.html file off somewhere safe, do what you have to do then replace it. I realise it's darn sight easier for me to say that than it is to roll a working bit of code, but it ought not be too difficult either.

something like ls the path above to grab the folder name holding the profile info, pipe that to a cp command to give the full path to the files inside the folder, copy out *.html, then much the same again after?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It is the name of the profile folder that gets me though ... it is always blah.default but I have seen the odd occasion with 2 folders ... usually after an upgrade of Firefox and I have had to manually work out which is which on a timestamp (it was a teacher's MacBook so not exactly done as above!)

I just ignore the .ini file ... I just thought it was a cross platform thing.

Off to have a look.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah .. now I get you ... set the default profile path via profile.ini

That will make things a lot easier. Thanks for that Rob.

Thank Post

Over the weekend I tried Camino which picks up the proxy settings from WGM. Strangely, it doesn't pick up the home page!

Thank Post

And back to firefox! I found this very useful guide to changing Firefox defaults inside the application itself.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050613155426295

By incorporating the preferences in the application and then installing it onto the workstations I get what I wanted. I just wish that I could just use WGM to make changes to home pages, exceptions, etc. like I do in AD on Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks for the help everyone!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread