+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, iweb alternative in Technical; Right seeing as I cant seem to get iweb to work, does anyone know of something as close to iweb ...

Thank Post

iweb alternative

Right seeing as I cant seem to get iweb to work, does anyone know of something as close to iweb as possible but better if possible! something wysiwyg?

Thanks

Thank Post
    What trouble are you having with iWeb? It works well for basic and simple web design for the kids.

Thank Post
    mainly that is crashes when it opens lol....its not that the features dont work its that the whole app doesnt work........so need alternatives please.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    mainly that is crashes when it opens lol....its not that the features dont work its that the whole app doesnt work........so need alternatives please.
    I take it you've fully updated iLife on the machine to make sure you have all the latest patches? If so, have you tried removing all traces of iWeb and reinstalling it back on the machine? I had a big issue with iPhoto a bit back and had to totally removed and reinstall it.

As well as removing the application from the Applications Folder, you should make sure you remove all the other elements in case something has failed before reinstalling and patching. This site >> how to completely remove iWeb 09 << seems to have a list of things to remove ..

Just thinking that if you can fix it, like TD said, it works well and is simple for people to use. Failing that, you could look at the offerings from Dreamweaver | Open Source Alternative - osalt.com (I know they're Dreamweaver alternatives, you you might find a nice simple editor amongst that) or Frontpage | Open Source Alternative - osalt.com (again, I know, but there's no iWeb OSALT list).

Thank Post
    yea tried loads of things, ive even built a totally new image from scratch, im not sure what the issue is to be honest.!

Thank Post
    At the BETT fair i saw the serif stand briefly and from what i could see seems like a cheaper version of adobe (with probably less stuff but then again i don't know!).

They have a dreamweaver style program from the looks of there website.

-shrugs- I dunno haven't used the software myself so can't say much but maybe worth a gander.

Web Design, Photo Editing and DTP software | Serif &ndash; Inspiring Creativity

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Flux and RapidWeaver (especially with the Stacks and Blocks plugins) are good alternatives to Dreamweaver and iWeb respectively.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Flux and RapidWeaver (especially with the Stacks and Blocks plugins) are good alternatives to Dreamweaver and iWeb respectively.
    tried both, rapidweaver is too template based, you cant create a totally blank webpage, and flux was asking for a serial number each time a different user logged on lol.

im sure serif only make windows based software too.

Thank Post
    Are there any re-directs being pushed out via WGM? If so that may be the cause. I had an issue with iWorks when i redirected the printers folder. The app would always crash when trying to print. Once the redirect was removed everything went back to how it should be. Another thing I have found is that if you redirect the Application Support folder, any apps/programs that rely on it's original location will fail. iWeb may be one of these since IIRC it places it's sites file there which it uses to store the pages being created.

I use it in a fully networked home dir environment (using AFP) and I haven't had any issues like you are seeing. I'm on 10.6.8 fully updated. What version of OS X are you running?

Thank Post
    Sorry what do you mean by redirects?

Its 10.6.8 in a local home directory environment (cant use networked due to imovie) using SMB.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Short of using RapidWeaver or iWeb I was going to suggest smultron which you can get through the app store

Peter Borg Apps » Smultron 4

Not really like iWeb or RapidWeaver etc but much better because it highlights different chunks of code in different colours and like notepad++ or other alternatives you code it as you go and learn what you are doing in the process in conjunction with w3schools / html goodies etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    RapidWeaver is too template based, you can't create a totally blank webpage
    That's pretty much why you need the extra plug-ins. Have you looked at Sandvox?

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Short of using RapidWeaver or iWeb I was going to suggest Smultron
    Smultron (or even Coda / Espresso) would be alright if the students were fluent in HTML and CSS. I doubt they would be if they're using iWeb.

I suppose they could use Twitter's Bootstrap as a starting point, but then all of their websites would look more-or-less the same.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (30th January 2012)

Thank Post
    think ive managed to convince them to use dreamweaver, none of the other programs where basic yet capable enough...weird! thanks

Thank Post
    It's a shame that you can't get it working as it is one of the easiest WYSIWYG web site creators available. You could argue that you don't get to edit/manipulate the HTML but you can add HTML snippets which allows you to add your HTML code or if you wish or just use embed code and place it on your pages.

Redirects are simply like the windows Group policy counterpart where some folders are redirected on login. Useful for networked account folders such as the caches folder, logs folder etc.

You could check the permissions on the /library/application support/iWeb folder. This is where iWeb stores its domain file used to build the site. Also check the console logs to find out what exactly is going on. It should give you. An idea of the problem being encountered.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Redirects are simply like the windows Group policy counterpart where some folders are redirected on login. Useful for networked account folders such as the caches folder, logs folder etc.

Good luck.
    You're probably right ref redirects - when I've done them, it's normally been an extra bit of code in the meta tag so that after x amount of seconds it will take the user from the original URL or domain to the new URL / Domain so if you change your url from www.oldwebsite.com to www.newsite.com then if people still go to www.oldwebsite.com then after x amount of seconds it will automatically re load the new website ( aka re direct ) to www.newsite.com

At least that is what I made of it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast