+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Sophos install woes in Technical; Hi all hope you can help. At present we have installed Sophos manually on a machine and then we took ...

Thank Post

Question Sophos install woes

Hi all hope you can help. At present we have installed Sophos manually on a machine and then we took the image from it and deployed it on the network. However we have noticed that all machines show as the same name on the enterprise console. We had this issue when Sophos was installed on our Windows PCs and the SID hadn't been regenarated, Is there a way of getting Sophos to recognise that the machine name has changed or a way to install it after the imaging process using a script?

Thank Post
    That's weird, it always worked for me. The only thing I can suggest is leave it out of the image, sysprep them to change the SID (or by any other method), add to the domain and then use the Sophos console to deploy the client afterwards.

Thank Post
    Is there a way of doing this on a Mac then? I'm still getting to grips with these Macs

Thank Post
    do not put sophos on an image it messes it up big style

you will only get one machine in your console.

i auto install after imageing and i have not had any problems so far.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    You should never install any anti-virus software on a master image - Mac or Windows. Here's a Startup script I use for Windows 7 after the workstation has been Sysprepped and joined to the domain:

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    REM – For 32 Bit Windows 
    if exist “C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SavService.exe” goto EOF
    REM Deploy to Windows 7/2008 R2  
    \\SERVERNAME\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\Setup.exe -s \ -user "DOMAIN\USERNAME" -pwd "PASSWORD" -mng yes 
    :EOF

6. Thanks to Michael from:

speckytecky (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    We've got it working fine on our Windows based PC by having it install as a script after being Sysprep'd, what I can't work out is how to get it to do the same on a MAC? Has anyone got a script that would work?

Thank Post
    there a tonnes of locations that get changed by imaging software such as Deploy Studio after a successful image. If you have not used something like Deploy Studio that runs a change by host preferences file after the imaging process, then it is perhaps best to do so. Starting with 10.5 Apple introduced the Local KDC. This LKDC also needs to be unique on each machine. You may be able to use the change by host script that is in Deploy Studio to do what you need. Alternatively just use deploy studio to take and deploy your images if you have not done so already. If you are already using Deploy Studio to deploy your images then Im' not sure how you would resolve the issue other than deploying SAV after the rebuild process. If you have a pre-compiled package of the Sophos, you could tell Deploy Studio to install it after the image has finished deploying.

TheLibrarian
    Go ahead and ignore me, this is for PC's not Apple computers.

You can image with Sophos included in the image if you follow these instructions.

Sophos KB Article ID: 12561
    Created: 9 Feb 2005
    Last updated: 27 Nov 2011

Following the instructions on the PC's you have already imaged may help too; at least I can't see why it wouldn't.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 20th January 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: One day I'll learn to look at what forum I'm posting in...

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You should never install any anti-virus software on a master image - Mac or Windows.
    Last time I used Symantec Endpoint Protection there was no reason not to have the product installed in the image, IIRC all that had to be done on the master PC is set one registry entry to null.

Thank Post
    Yup, Sophos issued a tool for this job. I just roll the images up without Sophos on them, then push it on via the Enterprise Console- this seems to work pretty reliably.

Thank Post
    As far as I can tell it is not possible to push Sophos out through the Enterprise Console to Macs. Could you tell me how you do this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread