+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Anti-theft solutions? in Technical; Hi all, In the event of a theft to our macs, i'd like to be able to use a program ...

Thank Post

Anti-theft solutions?

Hi all,

In the event of a theft to our macs, i'd like to be able to use a program like Prey to find out details to where they may have gone to, track the thief, view the webcam etc. However I can't even seem to install it through our proxy here. I've read on the Prey FAQ and Forums that the Prey control panel can sometimes be considered useless if you're using a proxy server anyway and the stolen machine is unable to access that proxy server. So could anybody suggest any likely alternatives please?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Unless you're going to stick some kind of GPS tracker in them, they will always be limited to "needing internet connection" as such. Without the net the programs can't reply to you, simple as. Again, You could do something with SMS but again it either needs a signal, or internet.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, Steve. The problem i'm currently facing is what you describe really - it won't be able to access the internet through a proxy server that cannot be reached anyway. Is there anyone here that's managed the get Prey working through their proxy server & if so how did you manage it!?

Thank Post
    Never tried on a Mac, but could you have a "logon script" that checks if proxy is valid, else disables it? Then it would disable if connected away from it? Not sure if that works or not on Mac.

Steve

Thank Post
    Could you not set the mac up using the proxy server settings, check that it works, and tracks the machine, and then remove proxy settings, and leave it to detect automatically, this was, although it wouldnt track while in school, the moment, someone connected to there home rounter, it would make a connection?

I havent got round to looking at prey yet, but its defintely on the list of things to do

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ste1988 View Post
    Could you not set the mac up using the proxy server settings, check that it works, and tracks the machine, and then remove proxy settings, and leave it to detect automatically, this was, although it wouldnt track while in school, the moment, someone connected to there home rounter, it would make a connection?

I havent got round to looking at prey yet, but its defintely on the list of things to do
    I suppose if I set proxy settings only over ethernet and just simply don't configure a proxy over wireless this should work, seeing as most home networks are wireless the chances of 'a thief' connecting using wireless is probably far greater than using LAN. Wireless connectivity is locked down for our students here anyway so I don't think that'd be a problem. I can't even install Prey though, not on my Windows machine or mac, requests just keep timing out to log in to my account through the install.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    I suppose if I set proxy settings only over ethernet and just simply don't configure a proxy over wireless this should work, seeing as most home networks are wireless the chances of 'a thief' connecting using wireless is probably far greater than using LAN. Wireless connectivity is locked down for our students here anyway so I don't think that'd be a problem. I can't even install Prey though, not on my Windows machine or mac, requests just keep timing out to log in to my account through the install.
    If i get a minute this afternoon, ill try and install it on a mac here, as our setup should be pretty much the same, and going through a proxy as well, hopefully ill be able to help more

Thank Post
    I've activated my account for the 3rd time just now, yet they still insist that my account has not been activated whatsoever. This is so bleeding frustrating!!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread