+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Removing network printer using Apple Remote Desktop in Technical; i would like to remove a network printer from all macs on our system is there away where this can ...

Thank Post

Removing network printer using Apple Remote Desktop

i would like to remove a network printer from all macs on our system is there away where this can be done using apple remote desktop or will i have to do one by one

looking forward to your response

jd20075

Thank Post
    There is a couple ways of doing this, one is to remake the cups file which will reset all printers on the machine, so works just fine if you do not have any local printers attached. Take a clean image install all the printers that you want on it then copy and replace the following folder and files to the same directory on the other workstations. BUT like I said this will delete all printers once that file is copied and only leave what you put onto your clean image file.

Copy this file
    /etc/cups/printers.conf
    Copy this folder and anything inside
    /etc/cups/ppd/

Make sure you overwrite the current files and restart the machine.

If your having problems with your network printers like queues pausing or erroring out, replacing a printer, etc.... something that's easier then messing with the workstations cups. Look at installing lpreset. This deletes network print queues/printers and reinstalls any mcx printers. We have this running on all workstations 430+ macs. It runs at login so it will delete all installed all mcx printers and install the printer if that workstation or user has an mcx for a printer. This will not work if you installed the printer manually on the work station.

sdunster.com/project/lpreset

Well for my first post here I hope it helps you and anyone else

Thank Post
    Not sure if you know anything about this but I have run into an issue where if anyone logs into a machine with a different set of Printers being managed by WGM then they get added to the list. For Example, a member of staff logs in with staff-copier queue being pushed from WGM and then a pupil logs in with Pupil-Copier queue, if they go to print they see the staff-copier queue as well as their own. Have you seen this issue before. Sorry for being a little off-topic but it is related in the fact that I would deed to reset the print queues myself to alleviate this problem as pupils have access to machines that they should have.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Not sure if you know anything about this but I have run into an issue where if anyone logs into a machine with a different set of Printers being managed by WGM then they get added to the list. For Example, a member of staff logs in with staff-copier queue being pushed from WGM and then a pupil logs in with Pupil-Copier queue, if they go to print they see the staff-copier queue as well as their own. Have you seen this issue before. Sorry for being a little off-topic but it is related in the fact that I would deed to reset the print queues myself to alleviate this problem as pupils have access to machines that they should have.
    This is the same problem we had and the lpreset install would totally fix this. Lpreset runs a script that deletes all MCX printers before the actual MCX's from WGM loads. Try it out and let me know how it works for you. The link is posted in my first post on this thread.

5. Thanks to Serving from:

HodgeHi (14th December 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread