+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Roaming Profiles/Network Home Sucess! BUT Wait. in Technical; Hi all. i have successfully Setup Network Home (Roaming Profiles) on macs in MY Test lab... I have Use any ...

Thank Post

Roaming Profiles/Network Home Sucess! BUT Wait.

Hi all.
    i have successfully Setup Network Home (Roaming Profiles) on macs in MY Test lab...
    I have Use any MAC on the network and The files are There...like Files on ther desktop desktop background etc...

How ever.
    Since the Library folder is also contained within the Users home folder that also shows up in finder...
    Is there a way to hide the Library folder so users cannot see it.....

I know the command "chflags hidden ~/Library" but it requires Sudo....How should I go about using that command with all the Users (new and Old)...
    Any other way to Hide the Library folder which is located in the Users Home...

Thank Post
    hi,

would you share how you did this?

Thanks!

Thank Post

Here is a short video of what i have working ATM..

Thank Post
    There is a command that you can run to search for files/folders. You maybe able to search by name. I will find the command and post it here as soon as possible. Also I'm not sure if you know but OS X Lion now hides the Library folder. Personally I find it a PITA. As long as they cannot access the /Library folder I'm not too worried. Is there any reason you wish to hide the library folder?
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 14th December 2011 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Could you not put the
    Code:
    chflags hidden ~/Library
    command in a LoginHook script?

Not particularly elegant, I know, but surely it'd work?

Thank Post
    You don't want to hide the library, users will have to delete things from it to fix applications (and the keychain) more often than you think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You don't want to hide the library, users will have to delete things from it to fix applications (and the keychain) more often than you think.
    This is my point about Lion's decision to hide the folder being the wrong decision. It just makes things even more complicated to resolve issues. I know you can navigate to it using the Go To folder option or even terminal but shouldn't need to. After all it's their preferences!

Thank Post
    Hi

It makes no real sense to 'hide' Users' individual Library folders as it allows for easier troubleshooting either for the users themselves or administrators. Especially true when addressing common issues such as corrupted/damaged plists in their Preferences folder and/or caches in the Caches folder. Individual users can be instructed to do this themselves or, alternatively, an administrator can do this for them using a Terminal command on the Server itself or via ARD.

With the release of Lion Apple decided to 'hide' the Library folder. It's fairly trivial to access this again without having to resort to the command line or anything else. Holding down the 'alt' key whilst clicking on the Go Menu will 'reveal' it again. Once 'revealed' it can be dropped into the sidebar for easier subsequent access. That way there's no need to hold down the 'alt' key again. You could take this a step further and load an appropriately amended com.apple.sidebars.plist into the MCX Manifest section in WorkGroup Manager. That way everyone nested within an OD Group gets that setting. This assumes you're managing users via OD Groups?

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 14th December 2011 at 08:08 PM.

Thank Post
    ok...
    i have decided not to hide library...
    I was getting mixed up with the managed preferences folder under root library...

Thank Post
    Haris. I have just watched the video you posted regarding your current test environment setup. I am looking to emulate this at my school. You mentioned that you would be posting another video showing how you set it all up, any idea when that will be ? Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis1987 View Post
    Haris. I have just watched the video you posted regarding your current test environment setup. I am looking to emulate this at my school. You mentioned that you would be posting another video showing how you set it all up, any idea when that will be ? Cheers
    Soon I am in to process of adding more ram and ssd into my machine so I can run more vm"s simultaneously...
    Stay tuned ....

Thank Post
    Ok thanks Haris, looking forward to seeing this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread