+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Using an Epson Scanner with Macs and AD in Technical; I have installed an Epson scanner on one of our iMacs - it works fine for the local admin user. ...
    Thank Post

Using an Epson Scanner with Macs and AD

I have installed an Epson scanner on one of our iMacs - it works fine for the local admin user. When used with a local restricted user account it automatically uses parental controls to block the application (even though parental controls weren't switched on for this Mac). This can be stopped by putting in the local admin password and then tweaking the parental controls app. However, the Mac is used via an OS X server using managed preferences and AD accounts. The scanner has been successfully added to managed preferences (as far as I can tell) and appears in the dock. Whenever any AD account logs on and tries to launch the scanner there is a message 'you don't have permission to use the application' (the same as the parental control message), however there is no option to override and there is no way to tweak network accounts through the parental controls system preference app on the Mac. I have looked on the OS X server workgroup manager and it can't be controlled from there either as far as I can see.
    I would be really grateful if anyone could give me any pointers how to get the scanner working for everybody!

Thank Post
    OK, it's sorted now, I'll put the solution here in case anybody has the same problem or I forget what I did! Do not use the Epson scanner software from their website - this is the application causing the parental controls to trigger. The Epson scanner application needs to be uninstalled to allow the next part to work. Whilst logged on as local admin account just plug in the scanner to the USB port, allow the drivers to install. Use software update to acquire the lastest Epson drivers for your device. Use the 'Image Capture' application to launch the scanner. This application will work for all users without causing the parental controls problem.

Seems so simple - why did it take so long to work out !! Oh well, I'll know for next time now....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread