+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, MAC on PC in Technical; Hi there, hope this doesnt annoy all the mac lovers out there but i have just managed to install mac ...

Thank Post

MAC on PC

Hi there,

hope this doesnt annoy all the mac lovers out there but i have just managed to install mac osx 10.6 onto a lenovo laptop.

It is running perfectly and i actually quite like it. However airport does not work obviously, does anyone have any ideas/know how to get it working as this would be much better and i may be converted to mac's after all.

By the way the copy of OSX is genuine and only costs 26 pounds....bargain!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What you have done is illegal. Mac software should only be used on Mac hardware. Says in the EULA.

Thank Post
    fine i shall uninstall, what a bore u are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a bore, just don't want to see anyone breaking the law.

Thank Post
    who reads EULA's anyway

you'll probably need to use a compatible usb wirleless dongle - Mac USB Wireless Dongle -

as is often the case with MAC hardware they're pretty restrictive when it comes to using 3rd party hardware.

Thank Post
    Yes you are. The EULA is a contract and not copyright law so its not breaking the law, its merly breaking a contact and that happens all the time. I purchased the software legally. Looking at the copyright law i legally have the right to install my software i bought on what ever i choose. Apple merely have a contact but yh ill uninstall lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    breaking a contract is just as bad as breaking the law (in legal terms) :P

Thank Post
    You need to go on the osx86project website and find your model of laptop or wifi chip and follow the instructions. Basically all you need to do is install the kext (drivers) and get it to regenerate its list of used kexts. Kext helper may help you do this.

OSx86

Software - InfiniteMac Wiki

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I made a hackintosh a year or so back as an experiment, and TBH, the lack of airport made it quite a PITA to use. Yes, it worked ok, however coupled with a lack of dedicated sound drivers, and the generic drivers causing the sound to cut out randomly I went back to Windows within a week.
    The problem with creating a hackintosh is also that you must use components that have been in Macs in the past and therefore included in the install image. This includes graphics, sound and networking, and if they have not been used by Apple than there is almost zero chance of having a kext for your hardware to use.
    They are in interesting concept, but of little real world use IMHO. There are several guides out there on how to make a decent hackintosh PC, however once you look at all of the components you need to make a complete working 'Mac', you start to think 'That'll make a pretty good Windows gaming rig' and then can't see the point.

10. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

nephilim (7th November 2011)

Thank Post
    ^ If you are lucky you will be able to find motherboards that work great as hackintoshes. The Gigabyte P35 series for example was almost perfect. Almost everything worked straight out of box, only thing iirc was sound which took 30 seconds to fix, and then obviously gfx using an EFI string. Luckily my gfx card was a 8800gt which like you say makes it much easier.

There are ways to get things working. I've had 2 PCs and 2 laptops working 100% (well 1 I'd say 98%), all of varying hardware. If you look hard enough you will probably find the info/kext/etc you need (but as you say Wifi can be a killer as one of the main nics doesn't work)
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th November 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Just as a side note, the only thing that Apple will do if you install their OS on something other than an Apple hardware, is not support you with it.
    An EULA is for the most part an agreement that if you use the product within the realms of the agreement, the provider offers a certain amount of service and support for it.
    Hence why you don't see WoW botters being hauled in front of a judge.

Thank Post
    IIRC the EULA says it can only be used on computers with an apple logo on them, doesn't state it has to be an Apple manufactured device, so stick a picture of an apple on your pc and you're fine

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Under various trademarks and device descriptions Apple have clearly covered what they mean by the Apple logo, Apple logo stickers, etc ... and yes, people have asked before and got told that it means an Apple built or licensed device.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Under various trademarks and device descriptions Apple have clearly covered what they mean by the Apple logo, Apple logo stickers, etc ... and yes, people have asked before and got told that it means an Apple built or licensed device.
    The comment was I made was pretty tongue in cheek, but hey. To get more serious:

In the US yes Phystar lost but individuals still have the defence of 'Fair Use'. In the UK/EU the position has never been tested in court IIRC. There is a big difference between someone making clone Macs and someone for their own personal research installing OSX on a PC. A company can write what they want in the EULA, doesn't mean it's enforcible until it's been tested in court.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    The comment was I made was pretty tongue in cheek, but hey. To get more serious:

In the US yes Phystar lost but individuals still have the defence of 'Fair Use'. In the UK/EU the position has never been tested in court IIRC. There is a big difference between someone making clone Macs and someone for their own personal research installing OSX on a PC. A company can write what they want in the EULA, doesn't mean it's enforcible until it's been tested in court.
    I did miss the smiley ... I was someone who asked and got told a very straight "no".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast