+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iMac 10.5 with Pro Tools 8 - saving over network in Technical; I've been working on some sort of solution to this for some time, but everything I try gets met with ...

Thank Post

iMac 10.5 with Pro Tools 8 - saving over network

I've been working on some sort of solution to this for some time, but everything I try gets met with utter confusion. Our Music Tech teacher does not understand the difference between a home studio on a workgroup and our school network, and I'm going round in circles explaining.

We have a suite of 15 iMacs running Leopard. They run Logic and Pro Tools (with a USB M-Audio box). The users save their files into the Shared folder on the Mac to work on them, then drag them to a secured area on our Mac Server to keep them when they log off. We have AD-OD with network home areas (necessary as we have all key stages using this suite, and they won't sit at the same machine each week.)

I have been tasked with setting up a large area on the iMac's HDD where KS5 students using Pro Tools / Logic can save, despite there being limited local space left, and the complexities involved with this (no backups, students have to use the same machine each time etc). I understand that this software does not play nicely over a network - there is massive bandwidth involved after all. I'm not sure if

What I'd like to do is avoid local storage. If possible, some form of network storage in the Music department that can handle the students using this software would be amazing, but it seems to be ultra-premium stuff. I'd be interested to hear how others run systems like this though - some sort of SAN? USB drives that they carry round? Throw the lot out and buy some new PCs?

Thank Post
    We have 3 desktops with Pro Tools HD which students run their projects via an external HD that they all have to purchase within the first month of school. In all of our labs and open areas we have Pro Tools 10 installed. The students need to sign out a dongle to use Pro Tools but these computers are all frozen with Deep Freeze. This means that whatever they do on the computer will be erased once the computer restart which is nightly. They again need to have an external portable HD to work on their projects.

The three studios with Pro Tools HD are not frozen but the instructor watches these ones and will wipe data as needed. These are professional studios so we don't bother with Freezing them.

3. Thanks to Carter from:

3s-gtech (8th November 2011)

Thank Post
    USB drives appeal to me - they're controlled by the students, roam with them, (were for HDD) cheap, and the connection should be fast enough over USB 2.0 to work. They'll obviously break/lose them, but I can live with that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread