+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, 2011 Mac Mini Display Question in Technical; 2011 Mac mini with AMD 6630 Graphics card I currently have * 1 Acer 19" TFT VGA Only * One ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts

2011 Mac Mini Display Question

2011 Mac mini with AMD 6630 Graphics card

I currently have

* 1 Acer 19" TFT VGA Only
    * One 40" Samsung HD TV

My plan was to

Connect HD TV to mac mini via HDMI cable ( which I already have ) but then question is what would be the best method to connect my Acer TFT to the mac mini ( which is a good 5 meters away ) on the telly stand.

Get the apple Mini display to vga adaptor and a seperate 5m vga cable or is there a better way ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Get the apple Mini display to vga adaptor and a seperate 5m vga cable or is there a better way ?
    This is best IMO - but will you be running extended or cloned?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    This is best IMO - but will you be running extended or cloned?
    I think cloned but will have to dabble about with it once I get the mac mini this monday. When I had my 2008 mac pro ( although this was connected via a Dual Link DVI to HDMI cable ) so I may not have the same issue(s) as I did connecting this up.

I presume cloned would be easier ?

If not then I would want VGA as the main display and the TV as extended but then I would have a faff around to get videos to play on the extended screen not the main screen.

Thank Post
    Just thinking that the displays will have different native resolutions, almost certainly - so cloned may be ugly. You might be able to tweak this to suit on one screen though. If they're both 720p compatible that'd work.

We got a few brand new Mac Minis for Media, but the ones using the i5's onboard graphics rather than discrete - they're very nice!

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

mac_shinobi (14th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Just thinking that the displays will have different native resolutions, almost certainly - so cloned may be ugly. You might be able to tweak this to suit on one screen though. If they're both 720p compatible that'd work.

We got a few brand new Mac Minis for Media, but the ones using the i5's onboard graphics rather than discrete - they're very nice!
    Telly supports 720p and 1080p / 1080i so hopefully should be able to get it to work, if we need the refresh rate to only work on the telly ie using it to watch a video or something then can easily enough disconnect the monitor ( which only takes a couple of seconds )

Basically if Im watching telly and other half wants to use the computer then we can do that so just need some way of swapping between one screen or the other as don't really need it connected to both at the same time but obviously both screens ( HD TV and VGA TFT ) have differing connections.

Thank Post
    Not sure how the control panel for AMD cards works on the Mac, but that should be very simple with a few clicks. May be able to set it with a macro.

Thank Post
    Not sure how the control panel for AMD cards works on the Mac, but that should be very simple with a few clicks. May be able to set it with a macro.
    Just checking as have heard that the longer vga leads may cause issues and the telly and TFT are at least 5 meters away. That was my main concern and also as you mentioned above because the telly and tft resolutions differ as the TFT is a wide screen one

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread