+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, SMB command help in Technical; Hello Edugeek forum peeps, This is my first post , hopefully i will get some where .i have been pulling ...

Thank Post

SMB command help

Hello Edugeek forum peeps,

This is my first post , hopefully i will get some where .i have been pulling my hair out over this problem for a little while.

A bit of background , i have a magic triangle setup in my school , with my ad as the main authentication server and the od as the preferences manager and to provide some file services

What I'm trying to do , my users need two home shares , one for when they log into the apple os and one for when they log in windows os. They have one for windows already, i need an extra one for the apple login , as to prevent file format confusion between the two areas and os's. bear in my mind i work in a school.

I have tried to create augmented user areas on top of the ad users using the wgm tool. , not much luck . Any pointers would be appreciated

Also i would the users to have the access to their windows home area via a shortcut on their desktop on the apple os. I know in windows , you add the %username% line at the end of a share path to create and use the area with the login named used, but whats the equivalent line in mac.

All help will be much appreciated.

CK

Thank Post
    I appreciate that you wish to keep the items separate due to incompatibility issues but what incompatibility do you have? Is it something that you can remove/eradicate?

The reason I ask is because I merge my windows home dir in with the os x home dir and this allows the users to be able to access the documents/information no matter which os they are logged into?

But having said that, somewhere in this forum there is a thread that someone started about creating the augmented records. Also take a look at Apple's education video tutorials. Im sure I saw a video that explained how to create an augmented record. It may have even been for the home dir.

As for the smb mounted share, if the users have SSO for the AD shares then you can just simply mount these at login using WGM.

Thank Post
    I see what your saying but...

I would still like to separate the home folders for apple and windows so that i can avoid the following situation -
    say a student or in most cases the teacher saves a file in there area , say an iMovie file and then tries to open it in windows on a separate day they will encounter a problem, the pupils would sort this out almost immediately and see what the problem was, but my teachers are not all that literate with IT and would phone me up and ask what was going on and would then blame me for their failings.

I will look up the augmented users, but any ideas on that shortcut for the desktop, i.e what is the mac equivalent to %username% so that the when the user logs in they see their individual area for windows as well as their individual area for apple

Thanks

CK

Thank Post
    Hi Clark,

As Hodge said, if you go into WGM and then onto your students group, go to Preferences at the top. Then go to the login preference icon and then the 'items' tab furthest to the right. All you'll then have to do is tick the 'Add network home share point' box and this will automatically map each of your users' individually on login.

There is an alternative that i'm happy to share with you if needed, but it all falls down to how you manage your users/clients really.

Thank Post
    Hi SC92,

Yes this will do that , but will it work when i have augmented my users with a separate apple home share as well as the windows home share , so that in the dock they will have their apple home share and also their windows home share.

Also i would like to here about the alternative, my curiosity has been peaked

Clark
    Last edited by clark-kent; 14th October 2011 at 02:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread