+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Logic Pro 9 in Technical; Hi, I'm completely new to macs (but have been given responsibility for them), we have magic triangle set up, and ...
    Thank Post

Logic Pro 9

Hi,

I'm completely new to macs (but have been given responsibility for them), we have magic triangle set up, and the clients that are using logic are snow leopard, the mac server is also snow leopard. When a user is saving work on logic, they go Save as and then save to their user area (which is a windows share). After saving their work on one mac if they move to another mac they can't see the files they saved to their windows share, is logic pro saving some of the files locally? Also I've been asked to give just the music students a share on the mac server, would this solve the logic issue by saving to a mac server and not a windows server or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Sam

Thank Post
    I'm not too sure with Logic but i tend to use AFP shares for all of my shares for mac clients. The only issue I have run into so far is iMovie but then that just doesn't play over a network anyway. You could give it a bash and see

I've just listed the way to create a share using Server Admin in a thread probably right below this one. Should be the same except you probably don't want the auto mount option and would need to edit the permissions.

Edit: This thread.

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

kernewek-sam (10th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Is is that they cannot see the file they have saved or that the file they saved doesn't open correctly? A Logic project file references original audio and edits from the project folder, when you save to another location you should choose to create a new project folder. You can choose what the project folder includes (and also strip out unused audio). You might want to take a copy of any plugin presets and samples as part of the project folder if they aren't using network home folders (any presets or sampler instruments you make are stored in your home folder). If they are just doing "Save as" all you have is the actual project file and I doubt it would open properly if the project contains imported audio, the audio files won't be there to load back in.

If the file actually isn't there then it could be a permissions issue on the Windows server.

5. Thanks to morganw from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I'm not too sure with Logic but i tend to use AFP shares for all of my shares for mac clients. The only issue I have run into so far is iMovie but then that just doesn't play over a network anyway. You could give it a bash and see
    Do you have a AFP share only or both windows and AFP shares available? As currently the Macs map the home directory to our windows share, would it be worth just pointing them to an AFP share only? Sorry if it's a dumb question but are the mac's picking up the mappings through the AD user account or the settings when binding to AD? I was wondering because do I need to point to the AFP share through AD user account or through WGM?

@morganw I'll need to check when I'm in tomorrow but it could be like you said and that the project folder needs to be saved to their user area, and not just the project file. I've not been there when they save the first time but I'll definitely give this a try. AFAIK when they are opening the project file on another mac, it opens just without any of original audio, edits. So that could well be the solution. I'll check the permissions if necessary.

Thank you both I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Personally I've found using Logic 9 on an SMB share has been very problematic. It may be down to our SAN, but we're seriously considering getting some Apple storage specifically for use with Logic.

You might want to try this: DAVE v9.0 | Thursby Software
    We had an evaluation licence, and it did solve most of our problems. But we were experiencing lot's of panic screens, so have removed it.

8. Thanks to tom_pearson from:

Thank Post
    I saw that software mentioned in an article but I'm going to give @HodgeHi and @morganw point's a try, especially as we have an X serve and AFP is enabled just not in use at the mo. Thank you for your help, if you want I'll let you know how I get on with shares and our X serve, if you're thinking about some Apple storage for use with Logic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kernewek-sam View Post
    Do you have a AFP share only or both windows and AFP shares available? As currently the Macs map the home directory to our windows share, would it be worth just pointing them to an AFP share only? Sorry if it's a dumb question but are the mac's picking up the mappings through the AD user account or the settings when binding to AD? I was wondering because do I need to point to the AFP share through AD user account or through WGM?
    I have the Home Dirs served up straight from the XServe RAID via AFp for macs and SMB for windows with the My Documents redirected into the Documents folder in the Mac profile. They use Documents instead of My Documents. Just makes things a little more seamless for the end-user.

So the answer to your question is we use both but depending on what platform you log into depends what protocol you use

I haven't run into any major issues with this setup so far. But then we don't have any DFS shares or anything above the basic configuration for home dirs /shares apart from where they are located, and that the OS X Server serves up the info through SMB/AFP. All our shares are done in this way.

Edit. The macs use the Home Profile path found in AD, and have them mount using the AFP protocol.

Thank Post
    I'll also add that in my experience using OSX 10.6 or 10.7 with Server 2008 R2 SMB shares causes massive performance issues. In the end we went back to doing everything over AFP again, initially on Apple hardware with a long term plan to try and test again with Netatalk. Also it's the only solution I know of to avoid issues with software like iPhoto that doesn't work with SMB home folders.

Thank Post
    Thank you both for your help , I think we'll defintely go down the AFP route to avoid problems with mac software.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread