+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Removing all printers on imac clients - RESOLVED THANKS in Technical; Hi all, To cut a long(ish!) story short, I want to remove all traces of previous printers from our clients ...

Thank Post

Removing all printers on imac clients - RESOLVED THANKS

Hi all,

To cut a long(ish!) story short, I want to remove all traces of previous printers from our clients in our mac suite. For some reason there are 20+ old non functional printers appearing on users' list. Confusing for the kids and i'm currently on the receiving end of a bit of grief from certain members of staff. Nothing new there 'ey?! Is there a script/command I can run from ARD or the sorts which will do this for me? I'm begrudging having to go round each machine and remove them manually..

Sam

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Hi all,

To cut a long(ish!) story short, I want to remove all traces of previous printers from our clients in our mac suite. For some reason there are 20+ old non functional printers appearing on users' list. Confusing for the kids and i'm currently on the receiving end of a bit of grief from certain members of staff. Nothing new there 'ey?! Is there a script/command I can run from ARD or the sorts which will do this for me? I'm begrudging having to go round each machine and remove them manually..

Sam
    Try this https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

3. Thanks to stevenwba from:

SC92 (5th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Looks like there's plenty of info around. GIYF.
    OS X printing is based on 'Cups' found in many Unix-based systems. I believe machines hosting printers have a cups web interface, but it looks like you can do some Terminal-fu with ARD -the first link may well do what you're after (although it looks like you will have to re-add the printer you actually want to use...).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Managing multiple printers via the command line - Mac OS X Hints

Mac Stuff » Creating printers in Terminal

5. Thanks to dayzd from:

SC92 (5th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Excellent - thanks steven! I'll save this for future reference.
    Also thanks Dazyd - proved just as helpful many thanks for your reply.

Thank Post
    No worries. It's better to get a good answer twice, rather than none at all!

Thank Post
    Glad to hear it same, i reckon we are pretty much at the same place, do you have a mac server, its a lot to learn but damn, better then doing everything 40 times, which is what i was doing lol

Thank Post
    We do have a mac server steven, a mini x-serve, we only have 30 21" imacs but it's still un-needed hassle to be running round doing everything over again as you said! We've only had our macs for a year but only had the server for 6 months.. yeah don't ask it's a long story! The only real thing i've not set up is the clients reading/installing updates from our server but I get around that by creating a new client image every school holiday! What have you done/got left to do? Indeed it is a lot to learn, and at 19 years of age, I must say it has definitely been an insightful start to my career!

Thank Post
    We do have a mac server steven, a mini x-serve, we only have 30 21" imacs but it's still un-needed hassle to be running round doing everything over again as you said! We've only had our macs for a year but only had the server for 6 months.. yeah don't ask it's a long story! The only real thing i've not set up is the clients reading/installing updates from our server but I get around that by creating a new client image every school holiday! What have you done/got left to do? Indeed it is a lot to learn, and at 19 years of age, I must say it has definitely been an insightful start to my career!
    Read the thread i started about "new to mac server"

We've add macbooks,macbook pros and imacs for about a year and the server since september.

Ago in the other thread ive just listed what ive got to do, but i also posted and got help on setting up software updates server, which give me a few problems but got there in the end.

How are you imaging the macs?

Thank Post
    I'll give it a read when I can. I use DeployStudio, and it works brilliantly. Its quite scary how easy it is to do, actually. Pull a client off the domain, make changes to the image, and then take a new image of the machine, roll it out to the rest of the machines. We've bootcamped them all too, which Deploystudio also takes an image of. It probably only takes a few hours for me to reimage the whole room, depending on changes made to the image of course.

Thank Post
    I'll give it a read when I can. I use DeployStudio, and it works brilliantly. Its quite scary how easy it is to do, actually. Pull a client off the domain, make changes to the image, and then take a new image of the machine, roll it out to the rest of the machines. We've bootcamped them all too, which Deploystudio also takes an image of. It probably only takes a few hours for me to reimage the whole room, depending on changes made to the image of course.
    Thats probably the biggest thing i can left to do, everything we have is bootcamped also with windows 7. so you might be hearing from me soon lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwba View Post
    Thats probably the biggest thing i can left to do, everything we have is bootcamped also with windows 7. so you might be hearing from me soon lol
    We've bootcamped with Windows 7 Pro - How are you finding it? I read on one of your posts somewhere that you're on an RMCC4 network, as are we! We've noticed the login times are sometimes absolutely awful can be anything from 2 minutes to 10. I would have preferred not to bootcamp them but we couldn't really avoid it as we can't afford a site license of Adobe CS5 at the moment. Would be great to hear how you're getting on with the performance side of bootcamp

Thank Post
    Windows 7 side is completely umanaged, so i dont have any issues other then having to image them every now and again, but once i get deploystudio setup, even that wont be a problem.

To map shares and home drive i use RM umanaged script, which in turn makes them just as useful as managed machines, but doesnt impact on performace.

Did you install win7 then smartclient install cc4? i was told that cc4 doesnt run very well on windows 7?

Thank Post
    Yes, we installed win7, applied the bootcamp updates and then smartcliented each machine. We've had some complaints about the log in times and the network performance of a few bootcamp machines, but the rest seem to be fine. The 'affected few' though can sometimes take up to 10 minutes to log in Out of curiosity who told you it doesn't work well?

Thank Post
    well i asked about smartclienting those windows 7 machines with rm, and i was told it still wasnt working very well with windows 7, this was about a year ago.

Have you tried a complete rebuild of those affected machines, i only ask because i know rm have rolled out a update to the login process since the summer, and boot times have definitely improved, just wondered if maybe some had got the update and some hadnt? that would be if its the same machine being slow to log on each time, if its a random few every time, what is your wireless setup like?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread