+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Saving to mapped network drive in Technical; Hi all, We've got our students' network drives mapped on logon, which is great, works a treat initially. However lately ...

Thank Post

Saving to mapped network drive

Hi all,

We've got our students' network drives mapped on logon, which is great, works a treat initially. However lately we've been having A LOT of students saving work to their mac directory, as when they go to >"Save As" in MSOffice 2011 they see what they think is their network drive in the drop-list, but its actually their local mac profile. Is there a way to make that network drive "appear" (technical term!) in that drop down list when they go to > File > Save As?

We have never had a problem with this before as it was mostly the KS4 kids using the mac suite last year but now the year 7, 8s, and 9s and starting to use the room, which as you all probably know from experience gets confusing for them and increasingly frustrating for us!

Many thanks
    Sam

Thank Post
    To be honest I think it's more a training/learning issue rather than a technical one. The 2 are there for a reason and maybe they need to be shown/told the difference.

Other than that not sure how you would get around this.

Thank Post
    Hodge,

Thanks for the reply.

But the network user drive does not show up in the list whatsoever when saving from Word for mac etc. It's really strange.

Sam

Thank Post
    Hi Sam,
    So when on the mac they can see their network drive, but in office 2011 they cant see it.

As hodge said, we had something similar, but it was just a matter of showing users not to just save the first place they see, and to locate there shared folder.

I have the same problem on machines that use windows 7, just because it looks different to xp and shows locations differently.

A screenshot of what they can see in office when clicking save might help

Thank Post
    Hi Steven,

I think i've sussed it out. Users can drag the network drive into the save location box and then save from there. The only annoying thing is that the changes aren't saved on logoff.. So they will have to do this everytime they want to save to their windows network share from mac office?

Thank Post
    Have you updated Office 2011? A new update has recently been released that resolves some issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Hi Steven,

I think i've sussed it out. Users can drag the network drive into the save location box and then save from there. The only annoying thing is that the changes aren't saved on logoff.. So they will have to do this everytime they want to save to their windows network share from mac office?
    Sam, I've just decided to take a look on ours, saving a word document, and i have the same problem as you do, id never noticed before, word defaults to documents, and then only lets you browse to folders that are local.

Thank Post
    I think the answer lies with the sidebar. If you have the sidebar configured to show connected servers then the user can click on these and view the shares available to them. The shares should mount automatically using Kerberos if you are setup in that way.

Thank Post
    You can make their network drive their home drive (using the Directory Utility) so that they effectively have no local storage. This worked for us but we had to disable it again as all the Macs used the freeze regularly for 30seconds-1 minute. Never got around the problem so just had to educate the students to drag their work to the network icon in their dock.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    You can make their network drive their home drive (using the Directory Utility) so that they effectively have no local storage. This worked for us but we had to disable it again as all the Macs used the freeze regularly for 30seconds-1 minute. Never got around the problem so just had to educate the students to drag their work to the network icon in their dock.
    Sounds EXACTLY what i'm looking for! Forgive me for being a bit thick but what's Directory Utility? This is something i'm more than willing to give a go, getting fed up with several students and EVEN some staff complaining that the work they did in our mac suite was "lost"..

Thank Post
    Have you bound your Macs to AD? Thats what the Directory Utility is for (amongst other things)

Heres how we did it:

Using the DU (on local disk its System>Library>Core Services>Directory Utility) you can configure the AD options (binding etc) and under the Advanced options there are two options that are relevant:
    Force local home diectory on startup disk - Uncheck this
    Use UNC Path from Active Directory to derive network home location - Check this

This means users 'home' is mapped to their AD home folder/share. It didn't work for us due to the freezing problems but that may be down to our network configuration, I never found a solution and gave up!

It did work in the sense you mean though, files were automatically saved to their home, which in our case was mapped to a share on a Windows 2003 server.

Thank Post
    You can also bind to directories using ARD and the unix command...

Code:
    #Ad Bind Script
    # Host-specific parameters
    # computerid should be set dynamically, this value must be machine-specific
    # This value may be restricted to 19 characters! The only error you'll receive upon entering
    # an invalid computer id is to the effect of not having appropriate privileges to perform the requested operation
    #computerid=`/sbin/ifconfig en0 | awk '/ether/ { gsub(":", ""); print $2 }'` # MAC Address
    #computerid=`hostname`
    #computerid=`/usr/sbin/scutil --get LocalHostName | cut -c 1-19` # Assure that this will produce unique names!
    computerid=`/usr/sbin/scutil --get LocalHostName`

# Standard parameters
    domain="your.domain.com"			# fully qualified DNS name of Active Directory Domain
    udn="admin username"			# username of a privileged network user e.g. domain admin
    password="password"					# password of a privileged network user e.g. domain admin
    ou="OU=Your_OU,DC=Fully,DC=Qualified,DC=Domain,DC=Name"		# Distinguished name of container for the computer

# Advanced options
    alldomains="enable"			# 'enable' or 'disable' automatic multi-domain authentication
    localhome="disable"			# 'enable' or 'disable' force home directory to local drive
    protocol="afp"				# 'afp' or 'smb' change how home is mounted from server
    mobile="disable"			# 'enable' or 'disable' mobile account support for offline logon
    mobileconfirm="disable"		# 'enable' or 'disable' warn the user that a mobile acct will be created
    useuncpath="enable"			# 'enable' or 'disable' use AD SMBHome attribute to determine the home dir
    user_shell="/bin/bash"		# e.g., /bin/bash or "none"
    preferred="-nopreferred"	# Use the specified server for all Directory lookups and authentication
    							# (e.g. "-nopreferred" or "-preferred ad.server.edu")
    admingroups=""				# These comma-separated AD groups may administer the machine (e.g. "" or "APPLE\mac admins")
    packetsign="allow"			# allow | disable | require
    packetencrypt="allow"		# allow | disable | require
    passinterval="0"			# number of days
    namespace="domain"			# forest | domain

### End of configuration

# Activate the AD plugin
    defaults write /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService "Active Directory" "Active"
    plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.plist

# Bind to AD
    dsconfigad -f -a $computerid -domain $domain -u $udn -p "$password" -ou "$ou"

# Configure advanced AD plugin options
    if [ "$admingroups" = "" ]; then
    	dsconfigad -nogroups
    else
    	dsconfigad -groups "$admingroups"
    fi

dsconfigad -alldomains $alldomains -localhome $localhome -protocol $protocol \
    	-mobile $mobile -mobileconfirm $mobileconfirm -useuncpath $useuncpath \
    	-shell $user_shell $preferred -packetsign $packetsign -packetencrypt $packetencrypt \
    	-passinterval $passinterval -namespace $namespace

# Restart DirectoryService (necessary to reload AD plugin activation settings)
    killall DirectoryService

defaults write /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfig "Search Node Custom Path Array" -array "/Active Directory/All Domains"
    defaults write /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfig "Search Policy" -int 3
    plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfig.plist

killall DirectoryService
    Runs as Root User.

Just tweak it for your network.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 30th September 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Also any changes you wish to make to the Directory Util you can do so using ARD and the unix tool to send the dsconfigad command followed by the option you wish to change. EG using

Code:
    dsconfigad -localhome disable
    should disable the local home option.

This command...

Code:
    dsconfigad -useuncpath enable
    should enable the use of the UNC profile path set in AD Users and Computers.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 30th September 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Hodge,

I just ran the first command in ARD without problems but wasn't able to run the second one. I checked Directory Utility anyway and the settings seem to be as you stated above already. This is getting really frustrating as i'm getting students in their droves this year saving work to their local mac documents. I'll upload a screenshot in a few minutes to make things easier to understand.

edugeek upload.png
    Last edited by SC92; 10th October 2011 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Do you need to change the protocol to AFP instead of SMB?

If so...
    Code:
    dsconfigad -protocol afp

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast