+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Saving to mapped network drive in Technical; Hi Hodge, Thanks for the reply. I tried changing from SMB to AFP but I then seemed to lose our ...

Thank Post
    Hi Hodge,

Thanks for the reply. I tried changing from SMB to AFP but I then seemed to lose our mapped drives completely so i'm guessing they're mapped by using SMB commands? I'm just looking at the sidebar prefs in WGM but can't seem to find anything of relevance and I don't really want to fiddle with a load of settings that I have no idea what will happen if I do so.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Hi Hodge,

Thanks for the reply. I tried changing from SMB to AFP but I then seemed to lose our mapped drives completely so i'm guessing they're mapped by using SMB commands? I'm just looking at the sidebar prefs in WGM but can't seem to find anything of relevance and I don't really want to fiddle with a load of settings that I have no idea what will happen if I do so.
    I was also looking for the pref to control the sidebar, and hide network and computers etc

Hopefully hodge will come and rescue us (:

Thank Post
    If you are using the OS X Server to dish out your shares for the home dirs (like I do) then you can set them so they use both SMB and AFP protocols. I can do this since OS X Server handles the share points for the home dirs. If you hold yours on the Windows servers then this cannot be done unless you install a third party AFP service.

The sidebar prefs aren't in WGM by default. You have to add them using the Details part. This allows you to add additional plist files to the system preferences which in turn allows you to manage more items and software using WGM.

The plist file you need for the sidebars is com.appple.sidebarlists.plist

There is a thread somewhere in the mac forum where tony rocco goes through how to use this sidebar plist file to lock down the sidebar. I must say I found it a bit limited when I first tried it but I haven't had chance to look at it again since reading the thread.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    If you are using the OS X Server to dish out your shares for the home dirs (like I do) then you can set them so they use both SMB and AFP protocols. I can do this since OS X Server handles the share points for the home dirs. If you hold yours on the Windows servers then this cannot be done unless you install a third party AFP service.

The sidebar prefs aren't in WGM by default. You have to add them using the Details part. This allows you to add additional plist files to the system preferences which in turn allows you to manage more items and software using WGM.

The plist file you need for the sidebars is com.appple.sidebarlists.plist

There is a thread somewhere in the mac forum where tony rocco goes through how to use this sidebar plist file to lock down the sidebar. I must say I found it a bit limited when I first tried it but I haven't had chance to look at it again since reading the thread.
    We have our home dir on windows shares so i guess theres not much we can do.

So do you have windows home dir and mac home dir, and keep all work on mac separate from work created on windows?

Thank Post
    what i have setup is

map windows homefolder and display it on the dock

click on the homefolder and then open it in finder

at the top you get the name of the homefolder and a little folder icon drag this icon over to the places bar on the side bar and for that session the user can select the windows homefolder to save into and load.

6. Thanks to round2it from:

SC92 (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Like steven we also have our users' home folders on windows shares. Is this now completely out of the question?

I had a play around with the details things on WGM and with the .plist you said Hodge, and I found sometihng under this:

WGM Details.png

These 3 represent shares that are shown in our sidebar in Finder. I'm hopeful that someone knows what to do at this point because i'm looking at it and it looks juuuuust a little bit... daunting? I had a thought that if I just dragged my mac admin network folder into the sidebar and then saved the .plist and put it in WGM, but this would just map my admin drive to all students?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    what i have setup is

at the top you get the name of the homefolder and a little folder icon drag this icon over to the places bar on the side bar and for that session the user can select the windows homefolder to save into and load.
    Appreciate the reply mate - I had found this out a few days ago and whilst it IS useful in most situations, it isn't for me because the teachers that teach in our mac suite are a nightmare and are almost completely IT illiterate. But that's another story for another day!

I don't suppose there's a way of automatically adding each users' home folder to the sidebar on logon?

Thank Post
    what i have setup is

Appreciate the reply mate - I had found this out a few days ago and whilst it IS useful in most situations, it isn't for me because the teachers that teach in our mac suite are a nightmare and are almost completely IT illiterate. But that's another story for another day!

I don't suppose there's a way of automatically adding each users' home folder to the sidebar on logon?

Thank Post
    I've been playing around with .plists and have seen one in WGM about sidebarpreferences. Is there such a .plist file located anywhere other than in WGM? What I want to try and do is log on as a student user, drag the network drive into the sidebar thus making changes to the plist file, and then copy that into WGM to roll it out to the clients. Is this possible?

Thank Post
    I don't think that would work either. If I remember correctly I tried something similar with another share. It doesn't use any variables for the username. You may be able edit the plist and place a variable in it instead of the name but I'm not sure what variable you would need to use. $1 returns the username I think as does @%1 or something like that.

Take a look at the ManagedClient preferences. You will need to add them to WGM like before. This file has quite a few items in. It may even help you get to where you need to be.

Failing all of this though, if I remember right you just want access to the home dir for Word docs. If you have are AD integrated, then the users should have SSO for the AD shares. If the AD server that holds their home dirs is listed in the sidebar then just get them to click this server and their home share should mount automatically allowing them just to browse to their home dir.

Also, I assume that you have clicked on the down arrow next to the save as box. This brings up a bigger window allowing you to choose more areas to save into and the sidebar options.

PS. The ManagedClient preferences can be found in the /System/Library/Core Services/ folder.

Thank Post
    I think I may have found a way of sorting this. We have network drives mapped on login so their home folders on the windows server are mapped on the desktop. However if I eject it manually it then appears in the dock, and once I click on that the home folder appears in the sidebar. If I remember rightly there is a way of mapping drives and making them appear in the dock isn't there? That way I could just remove the one on the desktop and map it in the dock.

Thank Post
    You can stick the mapped drive right on their dock easy enough just by opening WGM and then system prefs. Click on the dock option and them at the bottom under add other folders: tick the network home option.

This will place their network home on the dock. In theory you could then just have users save to the desktop and then once work is completed just upload to the server via their home dir.

This is perhaps the best method of working if users are happy to allow for the additional effort since macs tend to work a lot better when not on the network.

Thank Post
    Hodge, this would work for any IT-Literate user but really the staff who teach in the mac suite do not know their arm from their elbow. The strange thing is though, our Network Admin accounts including my own, seem to appear in the sidebar once logged in. Not sure whether this could be a permission/proxy issue? Either way I feel so close yet so so far..

Thank Post
    its one of those things that requires training

Thank Post
    its one of those things that requires training
    Yeah its the only way to progress on this one, after spending a few hours trying to find a work round, or hopefully 15 minutes explaining what needs to be done to get round it, maybe I'm lucky here and most people understand theres not always a clever it fix for everything.

On another note, i did try not forcing local home folder, but only leaving a network drive causing issues when using iMovie, and its one of those things we need.

So another piece of training, is when using iMovie to save in the local profile and remember which mac they were working on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast