+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac OS Server 10.7 - Profile Manager & iOS Devices in Technical; Hi all, Over the summer we have had a mac server installed to help manage our new 25 iMac IT ...
    Thank Post

Mac OS Server 10.7 - Profile Manager & iOS Devices

Hi all,

Over the summer we have had a mac server installed to help manage our new 25 iMac IT room.

As a side line to this I am looking to use the profile manager to push configuration out to 7 iPad 2's that we now also have.

Has anyone had any success trying to use this system? when I enroll the device the configuration fails to push out to devices.

Any tips or suggestions would be handy.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Did you get much further with this? When I have setup iPad iTouch management I have used config files accessible via safari to install the profiles.

Ross

Thank Post
    No as yet, we had our open evening last night so everything for the last couple of days has been mad panic around that, hopefully in the next week or two I should get some time on it. I think its our LEA filtering stopping access to Apple Push Notification servers, so will have to do some digging around this aspect or try and find logs from profile manager.

Thank Post
    To be honest I have had issues on my test network at home. I think the device needs to be enrolled first then it can receive the push notifications. Have you tried that?

Thank Post
    Thats where I'm hitting the issue, so far the process i can get to in the ipad is:
    open profile manager in safari, download and install trust profile successfully, select enroll device in my devices

at this point the profile manager creates an update info task but this never gets through to the device so thinking this is done using the push notifications and our filtering is stopping it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowip1983 View Post
    Thats where I'm hitting the issue, so far the process i can get to in the ipad is:
    open profile manager in safari, download and install trust profile successfully, select enroll device in my devices

at this point the profile manager creates an update info task but this never gets through to the device so thinking this is done using the push notifications and our filtering is stopping it.
    I presume you have linked Lion Server with APNS using your Apple I.D. as this is required to push out profiles once you have enrolled them?

Thank Post
    We do indeed have a certificate for APNS created by the engineer who installed the server for us. as far as I am guessing that should be all that is required. I do have the ability to re create a certificate under our apple ID but for now i am assuming the one there is suitable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowip1983 View Post
    We do indeed have a certificate for APNS created by the engineer who installed the server for us. as far as I am guessing that should be all that is required. I do have the ability to re create a certificate under our apple ID but for now i am assuming the one there is suitable.
    If the engineer created the Certificate without either;

Linking your Lion Server to APNS via creation of or using an existing Apple I.D.
    -OR-
    Paying for and enrolling you in the Apple iOS Enterprise Developer program

Then you can not obtain an APN Certificate

http://help.apple.com/profilemanager...1-E9AD29A61D0C

Thank Post
    I shall have a look into this deeper next week, but readying the first part of that help doc saying

"your Mac must have a static Internet network address and cannot be on a closed network"

our mac server has no public IP so thats the first part of the issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread