+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, New to Mac Server in Technical; Hi, Ive just had a shiney new mac server land on my desk to help control the growing number of ...
    Thank Post

New to Mac Server

Hi,

Ive just had a shiney new mac server land on my desk to help control the growing number of macs in school, which we have only had over the past 12 months, currently upto 20 but this is expected to keep on growing so, a great time to introduce a mac server, like a lot of people here, im only learning mac myself since we had those first macs 12 months ago. Although i have managed to manage the macs locally and learn a fair bit during this year, when it comes to the server side, i have no experience what so ever, the most technical thing i have done with the standalone macs, was to bind them to AD to allow windows users to be able to logon.

Now my questions and need for advice come, because i have read about all the things i can now achieve with the mac server, but how i learnt mac, was to first find the mac alternative to how i was trying to do something it windows, like system preferences to control panel etc.

So i have been looking for computers and users alternative in mac, although i can see where to add users, i dont know how i connect my mac clients to the server.

How help on this would be great, first changes i should make to the server, and just where i can find everything.

My goal is to be able to lock the macs down, have a mapped drive from the mac server on the clients, share printers, and push applications and updates out using the server.

Regards

Thank Post
    Just off the top of my head here are 3 things that we heavily rely on with our server.

Workgroup Manager
    ARD (Apple Remote Desktop)
    Deploystudio - for imaging and rebuilding

I'd say that the most important one there would be WGM for you. Manages permissions, drives, printers, user access etc.

3. Thanks to SC92 from:

stevenwba (21st September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Just off the top of my head here are 3 things that we heavily rely on with our server.

Workgroup Manager
    ARD (Apple Remote Desktop)
    Deploystudio - for imaging and rebuilding

I'd say that the most important one there would be WGM for you. Manages permissions, drives, printers, user access etc.
    Is workgroup manager included in lion because i cant seem to find it, i know the other two are addons

Regards

Thank Post
    Is there a seperate version of Mac OSX Server still? if so it's probably included with that.

6. Thanks to Greenbeast from:

Thank Post
    I think you can download it from here:

Server Admin Tools 10.5.7

It's an outdated version but either software update will pick it up and update automatically or there is probably a newer version on the apple site somewhere, I just haven't the time to look at the mo.

8. Thanks to SC92 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    I think you can download it from here:

Server Admin Tools 10.5.7

It's an outdated version but either software update will pick it up and update automatically or there is probably a newer version on the apple site somewhere, I just haven't the time to look at the mo.
    So thats what i needed!! thanks alot for that, downloading in

Thank Post
    Workgroup Manager - then you can set up a 'magic Triangle' where you bind the Macs to the server (within the Users settings in System Preferences), and within WM you can manage the machines.

11. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwba View Post
    So thats what i needed!! thanks alot for that, downloading in
    The newer version is here, I take it it's Lion Server?

Server Admin Tools 10.7

13. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Workgroup Manager - then you can set up a 'magic Triangle' where you bind the Macs to the server (within the Users settings in System Preferences), and within WM you can manage the machines.
    Right, so ive managed to get everything listed above and have been taking a good luck around admin tools, the mac clients are bound to AD and not open directory, so now i just want to connect the macs to the server so they appear in workgroup manager, but cant see how to do that, i do i need to have them bound to open directory and they appear automatically?

Also ive checked the option to run the software update service, but again, where do i configure what updates it pushes down to the macs clients, and on the clients how to i configure them to download updates from the server and not from apple via internet?

Many Thanks!

Thank Post
    once they are bound to OD you can add them into WGM

16. Thanks to Greenbeast from:

Thank Post
    Have now found where you configure the macs to use the server for software updates, im guessing now, when the servers downloads the updates for itself, it uses them to give out to the clients as well, as i can only configure where the clients point to and not actually what they download.

Steep learning curve, but enjoying it! (:

EDIT: Again found the answer to my own question!!
    Last edited by stevenwba; 21st September 2011 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    A steep learning curve it is, but a fantastic one! We've only had our suite of 25 imacs for just over a year now and i've been responsible for them. It's quite amazing what you can teach yourself/work out and once it's all up and running, OSX is possibly the simplest thing to manage - although can't say the same for Lion as we haven't tried that one out yet, will have fun upgrading at some point..

Anyway, best of luck!

Thank Post
    We had RM come and install our iMacs this summer, they shipped with Lion on but the engineer couldnt get the domain to work right with lion so has rolled us back to 10.6 for now under the plan of when they have sorted the little niggles out with it they will come and upgrade us. I had a small experience of apple server a couple of years ago, and just like the macs themselves the software just does what it needs to easily.

Thank Post
    We also had RM install our mac network on 10.6. From what i've heard, it's not worth even considering upgrading to Lion until at least 10.7.4+ as most of the main issues are then sorted by either Apple/RM. Ever since it's been working great although they did supply us with a Mac Mini XServe which im not too sure is supposed to be able to handle 25 imacs, but there we go.

Thank Post
    Our server is a mac pro, with the way Lion works, we should have ordered the highest spec 27" imac for the server room and used that. My network manager is totally anti mac so would have wound him up even more. And as mentioned before, the main tools that are recommended are DeployStudio and WGM. Next lesson to learn is building mpkg files that we can use to install apps over ARD

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast