+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, New to Mac Server in Technical; Hi steven, As for mapping student network drives if you go into WGM, onto your student group (presuming you've created ...

Thank Post
    Hi steven,

As for mapping student network drives if you go into WGM, onto your student group (presuming you've created it), then onto preference at the top, and then login. Click on the items tab and then tick the 'Add Network home share point' box. This should just read it from AD and automatically set the users' shared drive. You could also map shared nework drives from here too. Go to Safari and type: 'smb://*SERVER NAME*/*DRIVE NAME*'. You can then drag the link onto the mac desktop and then drag it from the desktop into the WGM box.

2. 2 Thanks to SC92:

kernewek-sam (11th October 2011), stevenwba (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Just to add to SC92's post here is a grab of the screen.

Screen Shot 2011-10-06 at 1.57.17 PM.png

4. 2 Thanks to mellowip1983:

kernewek-sam (11th October 2011), stevenwba (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Right, i am now at the point of setting up deploystudio!

Although i cant even get started because, when i click setup deploystudio server, the next screen i can setup the url and username and password to use to set it up, i leave the url with what deploystudio gives me, which is http://macserver.local:60080

but the username box is grayed out with the username deploystudioadmin, so i created that user account, and the password is not grayed out, so i can enter that, so entered the password for the deploystudioadmin account,

And the continue button is still grayed out!!! this is probably something basic, i need to start a service or something, but i cant even get pasted the start screen lol!

Thank Post
    Are you logged in as the root user? Ours is Ladmin (Local Administrator) for our OSX Server. Another thing to check is if the Netboot srvice is running in Server Admin. If not you can enable it by going into server admin and then onto the settings icon at the top. Click on services tab furthest to the right and you should just be able to tick the box and it'll start the service.

Thank Post
    You don't need to be logged in as root user to configure Deploy Studio. In fact I don't think yo need to be logged in as Root user for anything?

I configured mine and most other things using the standard local admin account.

When you install Deploy Studio and start the wizard to configure deploy studio if the service isn't running it will ask you to either start the service or ignore it. If you chose to ignore the start service then can go into the system prefs and deploy studio will be at the bottom in the "Other" section click the icon and then click start. If you haven't configured the service and/ or not specified a share point for the images to be stored in it will say something like no repository available or something like that.

Download and read the deploy studio admin guide. It really is quite simple to follow. No other guide IMO is worth typing up since the original is fine as easy to follow.

Thank Post
    Heres where ive got to,

I have been reading to user guide;

Download and install DS
    Enable NetBoot
    Enable DS
    Launch DS Launch Assistent
    Click setup a DS Server
    Enter details <<< unable to enter password or username

Ill add a screenshot, im doing what the guide says but obv im missing something here

Screen Shot 2011-10-11 at 11.39.40.png
    Last edited by stevenwba; 11th October 2011 at 11:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Steven,

I have to ask this because it threw me the first few times as well. You are aware that the text in the username box isn't actually classed as text? If you click on the box the image of the text then disappears and allows you to enter your own user. Apologies if this offends you but as I say it happened to me a few times and I felt like a right prat afterwards..

Thank Post
    seriously dude, that would be a lot funnier if it wasn't just me that done that! your spot on lmao

edit, so now I've got over my incredible stupid moment, how do i actually go about creating workflows etc, because i should have the application in utilities but deploy studio isn't there
    Last edited by stevenwba; 11th October 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    the only place deloystudio is located is in system preferences, so i cant follow their userguide anymore because its saying load deploystudio admin in applications/utilities and its not there, i have installed the software a few times now, and nothing is showing up.

Everything i need is included in the package downloaded from their website right?

Screen Shot 2011-10-12 at 09.12.45.png

Screen Shot 2011-10-12 at 09.13.02.png
    Last edited by stevenwba; 12th October 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Everything should be int he package. The deploy studio icon is present in the System prefs so it has been installed. If you hold down cmd+shift+U and access the Utilities Folder directly, is the deploy studio folder inside this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Everything should be int he package. The deploy studio icon is present in the System prefs so it has been installed. If you hold down cmd+shift+U and access the Utilities Folder directly, is the deploy studio folder inside this?
    Yeah it is directly in there, wonder why i didn't show up from accessing from the dock?

Thank Post
    Right here is my next problem, here i am setting up the windows network shares to be mapped on the macs, i have the magic triangle setup and am, I have setup 2 groups in LDAP on my mac server that are OSX_Staff and OSX_students and added the groups i want as members. Now i have added the windows shares i want mapped to those user groups.

Here us a screenshot of what i am doing, and the problem i am getting. Screen Shot 2011-10-31 at 14.12.38.pngScreen Shot 2011-10-31 at 14.12.38.png

Everytime i create the share for //servername/shared work, it keeps appending the group name.

So when i log in the macs and click the mapped drive it actually goes to //servername/shared work/*Group name*

Where as i just want to it go to the root folder //servername/shared work/

What am i doing wrong? every time i delete the group name from path and save it reappears

Thank Post
    Hi Steven,

Our mapping was done slightly differently, in WGM switch to preference mode of the group.

select the login icon, items tab then added the mappings here.

Staff have T and W mapped Students only have W

Ian

16. Thanks to mellowip1983 from:

stevenwba (31st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Steven,

Like mellow, our mapping was done slightly differently and I mapped drives using the students/staff group we have set up. Unless i'm missing something really obvious here (Possibly as i've just come back to work after having half-term off! ) my post at the very top of this page should cover it. Funny feeling i'm either being a bit thick or have misunderstood you though.

18. Thanks to SC92 from:

stevenwba (31st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowip1983 View Post
    Hi Steven,

Our mapping was done slightly differently, in WGM switch to preference mode of the group.

select the login icon, items tab then added the mappings here.

Staff have T and W mapped Students only have W

Ian
    Thanks i was looking at group folders, which i guess is something different

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast