+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, New to Mac Server in Technical; hdiutil mount <Path to where you copied .dmg>/Your.dmg installer /Volumes/Your Disk Image/Application.pkg hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Your Disk Image rm -rf <Path ...
    Thank Post
    hdiutil mount <Path to where you copied .dmg>/Your.dmg
    installer /Volumes/Your Disk Image/Application.pkg
    hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Your Disk Image
    rm -rf <Path to where you copied .dmg>/Your.dmg

The assumption here is that Your.dmg mounts as /Volumes/Your Disk Image

Got that from - Re: Installing .dmg files

I haven't checked if it works as yet.

2. Thanks to mellowip1983 from:

stevenwba (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, will give it a go when i finally get round to actually installing some software, at the moment in still setting up the server, im currently stuck on setting up software updates.

I have started the software updates service.

Setup all new updates to install into a folder on the hard drive, which it has done, i have left the port set to default which is 8088.

When clicking on the client to set the update url, i have entered http://hostname:8080/index.sucatalog

Now i am totally stuck, i have tried typing that url in but i get page cannot be found error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    will see if i can get on to our server and look at the config there for you later on today.

5. Thanks to mellowip1983 from:

Thank Post
    http://hostname:8080/index-lion-snow...ed-1.sucatalog for 10.7

http://hostname:8080/index-leopard-s...ed-1.sucatalog for 10.6

http://hostname:8080/index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog for 10.5

Have these management settings applied to the correct groups of machines - though if you just have 10.7, I'm not 100% sure that it's necessary. As I have all three versions, I have to do this.

7. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    I read on a mac forum about setting up the webservice, and then setting up an alias, is this required?, as the webservice was already on, but i havent created an alias yet?

Edit: when i type that url you provided it now goes to a page listing updates in text only, so im guessing thats workign now, i added the url to the client for software updates, and decided to run the update on the client machine, although judging by the speeds im pretty sure it just carried on downloading them from apple and now the server?? i cant think what else im missing?
    Last edited by stevenwba; 27th September 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Thank Post
    right so here is where i got to yesterday, now when i go to the url http://hostname:8080/index-leopard-s...ed-1.sucatalog it lists all updates, so i now know that url is working, also i have updated in the software updates preference on the client macs this url for them to access the updates on the server, but when i run software update on the client machine they still appear to download from apple, is there any way to force the client machine to go to the url on the server, and how to test to make sure the updates are coming from the internal macserver and not apple? the only way i can tell is because of the speed of the updates downloading

Regards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwba View Post
    right so here is where i got to yesterday, now when i go to the url http://hostname:8080/index-leopard-s...ed-1.sucatalog it lists all updates, so i now know that url is working, also i have updated in the software updates preference on the client macs this url for them to access the updates on the server, but when i run software update on the client machine they still appear to download from apple, is there any way to force the client machine to go to the url on the server, and how to test to make sure the updates are coming from the internal macserver and not apple? the only way i can tell is because of the speed of the updates downloading

Regards
    Resolved this, needed a few restarts to pick up the settings, Doh!!

Thank Post
    To run the software updates from ARD you need to specify the proxy settings for the admin user. I send mine out by managed preferences for the computer list. If you don't specify the proxy settings with your update server in the bypass list the update will fail when trying to connect.

Once this is done you can then click on the Unix option and from the templates list choose Miscellaneous > Install all Software Updates in ARD.

This should run the command silently (even at the login prompt) and then install the updates. You may need to manually restart the machines to complete the process.

Also make sure that you lock the machines while this is going on as there is no sign that the process is going on from the client side. In ARD however, you will get a live report from each client.

Again this should be possible for stand-alone clients.

12. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

stevenwba (4th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    http://hostname:8080/index-lion-snow...ed-1.sucatalog for 10.7

http://hostname:8080/index-leopard-s...ed-1.sucatalog for 10.6

http://hostname:8080/index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog for 10.5

Have these management settings applied to the correct groups of machines - though if you just have 10.7, I'm not 100% sure that it's necessary. As I have all three versions, I have to do this.
    If I'm not mistaken, the leopard clients get their updates from the snow-leopard-merged catalog as well. Also there is a post on AFP548 site about tweaking the 10.6 server to provide Lion Updates if needed. so you should only need the one URL.

14. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowip1983 View Post
    hdiutil mount <Path to where you copied .dmg>/Your.dmg
    installer /Volumes/Your Disk Image/Application.pkg
    hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Your Disk Image
    rm -rf <Path to where you copied .dmg>/Your.dmg

The assumption here is that Your.dmg mounts as /Volumes/Your Disk Image

Got that from - Re: Installing .dmg files

I haven't checked if it works as yet.
    You can mount DMGs on the machine with ARD on and drag the pkg file intot he install window and do it straight from there. Unless there is a valid reason to copy the .dmg across and start the process, it may be a bit of a waste of time.

16. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

Thank Post
    How are you getting on stevenwba? do you have any goals to achieve this week?

Thank Post
    How are you getting on stevenwba? do you have any goals to achieve this week?
    Thanks for asking mate, i have just yesterday bound everything mac to the mac server now, and managing as many preferences as needed, got the update server working at the end of last week, so just making sure everything is upto date and connecting to the server to do so.

I am just waiting for buy some itunes vouchers so i can actually buy some apps from the app store, one of them being apple remote desktop, so until i get that i have completed everything so far.

Biggest thing ive got left to do is bind OD to AD, but ive got someone coming in to help me with that. then ill look at creating network shares and last thing will be mapping users home folders, so plenty left to do.

Just one question, if they OD is just replicating data found in AD, im guessing there wont be any problems using the mac server to mount these home folders? even though the work is ultimately saved to a windows server?

Thank Post
    When binding the mac to AD you can set the rule for mapping home drives there.

AD Bind.png

The Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location. Network protocol to be used :SMB.

That maps our home areas for our network. Then use work group manager to map shared resource folders.

Thank Post

AD Bind.png

The Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location. Network protocol to be used :SMB.

That maps our home areas for our network. Then use work group manager to map shared resource folders.
    Your a star mate, thanks for the screen as well, will post when i get round to doing it

Thank Post

AD Bind.png

Ive now got home folders being mounted on the macs, now what i want to do, is map the same network drives we have on our windows network on the macs.

Which i believe is different from using group shared folder, as that would be mapping shared drives for folders stored on the mac server, here i want to mac drives that are located on a windows server, how do i go about this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast