+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, New to Mac Server in Technical; Coincidentally the teaching staff that use our imac suite are also highly anti-mac. I'm not exactly a mac fan-boy but ...

Thank Post
    Coincidentally the teaching staff that use our imac suite are also highly anti-mac. I'm not exactly a mac fan-boy but I can't really see why they can't see macs for what they are - a huge step above any Windows based pc. I've managed to install packages out to clients like OSX Security Updates and things from ARD on our server and have to say it was extremely simple, but have never tried programs or apps. We will probably have to do that at some point but i'm hoping that the programs actually install and not just copy themselves to the HDD or anything.

Thank Post
    This is the point we are at, our HoD who teaches in the room turned round and said, I want : VLC Media Player, Google Earth, Stykz installing on all the macs, none of these are available for download in the correct format. as part of xCode tools (free download from app store) you can make your own MPKG files but i havent sussed it out yet, so far they just send dmg files to the machines.

Thank Post
    Just setup software updates, and now im thinking, how easy it was, once you actually find what you need mac is pretty easy, seems to me the only problem i have is exactually finding what i need in the first place, or the mac alternative of something i know how to do in windows, my next task is to setup the network library, so i can share all license information for some software.

Then my last job is to setup deplystudio and take an image of a complete mac.

All in all and pretty useful day today (:

Thank Post
    p.s this is lion osx server 10.7.1 but as ive never used the server edition of snow leopard i couldnt really say what is different??!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Coincidentally the teaching staff that use our imac suite are also highly anti-mac. I'm not exactly a mac fan-boy but I can't really see why they can't see macs for what they are - a huge step above any Windows based pc. I've managed to install packages out to clients like OSX Security Updates and things from ARD on our server and have to say it was extremely simple, but have never tried programs or apps. We will probably have to do that at some point but i'm hoping that the programs actually install and not just copy themselves to the HDD or anything.
    Im pretty sure they do just copy themselves across, but im not sure how registering and licenses work, maybe someone here will shed some light on the whole process, all i know is we have comic life and to register the whole network in one go, you have to setup a resource library in shared items, where all licenses goes, and it replicates across all bound macs into the same folder locally

Thank Post
    from what i know, there are new versions of mail, wiki, ical the addition of profile manager and just a change from completely separate os.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    although they did supply us with a Mac Mini XServe which im not too sure is supposed to be able to handle 25 imacs, but there we go.
    The spec of the Mini is more than up to doing a bit of management - it's not a heavy task for the hardware (which is pretty good anyway). Only fail is the non-RAIDed HDDs by default, but there are how-tos on fixing this.

Thank Post
    Copying apps over is really as simple as installing the MPKGs. If any apps downloaded just need to be placed in the applications folder, this can be done simply enough with ARD. You just choose the copy command and then pick what you want to copy and Choose the Applications location from the list. You can also specify full paths which is handy.

I have deployed Comic life like this:

Copy the Comic Life application into the Applications folder.
    Copy the Plasq license file into /Library/Application Support/

This works fine.

Just work out where the files need to go and then use ARD to copy them into place.

9. 2 Thanks to HodgeHi:

mellowip1983 (23rd September 2011), SC92 (23rd September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Copying apps over is really as simple as installing the MPKGs. If any apps downloaded just need to be placed in the applications folder, this can be done simply enough with ARD. You just choose the copy command and then pick what you want to copy and Choose the Applications location from the list. You can also specify full paths which is handy.

I have deployed Comic life like this:

Copy the Comic Life application into the Applications folder.
    Copy the Plasq license file into /Library/Application Support/

This works fine.

Just work out where the files need to go and then use ARD to copy them into place.
    Thanks for that Hodge, nice to know the whole process if just as easy as intended for standalone macs

Thank Post
    Hodge, you are a saviour!!!!!!

just deployed the three apps required in minutes thanks to your advice!

I had looked far and wide through google and hadn't found a solution but thats spot on.

Thank You!

Thank Post
    I've used LANrev InstallEase to make custom packages in the past, largely because I found it before I'd heard XCode should be able to do something similar.

It works kinda like building packages on RMCC3: Take a 'Before' snapshot, install and configure your app, take an 'After' snapshot and out comes a .pkg you can deploy from ARD.

If XCode can do it though, I'd prefer to do it that way. Might do some Googling this afternoon!

Thank Post
    There is an app in xCode called PackageMaker that was supposed to be able to do it according to the macrumors.com forum, but i couldn't suss it out easily.

Thank Post
    Installing Packages using ARD is different from copying drag and drop installers to each client in turn if, for example you were installing an Adobe site licence

Adobe have their own enterprise package maker in which to install this software across the network from here..Creative Suite Enterprise Deployment | Adobe Developer Connection

Apple have few video guides which should also help you out here..

Apple - Remote Desktop 3 - Tutorials - Software Distribution

Thank Post
    I've tried to make a meta package using apples package maker but I struggled with the permissions. I tried to use a package to install simple apps that. Need copying over such as the comic life but not for ARD though. I wanted to create a mpkg file to allow for easier setup after the imaging process since deploy studio can also install applications as part of a post imaging process included in the workflow.

If that makes sense

But yeah ARD is great for managing os x clients. Don't forget you can do almost anything in this software. You can also copy plist files into right locations, images into the desktop pictures location (great for forcing the desktop background image), even whole folders. You can edit applications and then re-copy the apps updating all of them in one go!

And don't forget the terminal command. Run software update for all clients at once.

@stevenwba,

ARD works with the account you have setup for remote management. As long as you have the copy process enabled for the local admin user on the clients then being standalone should not matter at all.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Installing Packages using ARD is different from copying drag and drop installers to each client in turn if, for example you were installing an Adobe site licence

Adobe have their own enterprise package maker in which to install this software across the network from here..Creative Suite Enterprise Deployment | Adobe Developer Connection

Apple have few video guides which should also help you out here..

Apple - Remote Desktop 3 - Tutorials - Software Distribution
    Thanks Sean, that video explained a lot! at the end of that video it mentioned a unix command to complete the install of disk images, dont suppose you have a link, or know what that might be?

Regards

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast