+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Dual Home directories? MAC/AD in Technical; We're encountering problems with iPhoto libraries, it obviously wants to create a local library on the workstation which is not ...

Thank Post

Dual Home directories? MAC/AD

We're encountering problems with iPhoto libraries, it obviously wants to create a local library on the workstation which is not allowed (and would no doubt be unmanageable)
    So i'm looking to create a Mac Server home directory for our users and just use a 'mapped drive/alias' for their windows home directory (same as other shared drives they've got access to

How can i go about configuring a Mac server home for every user that logs in to a mac?
    How can i determine the location for a windows home directory for mapping a drive?

Thank Post
    I know that this is a service that some Apple Solutions Experts (ASE) in Education can assist with. If you are looking for assistance with this you could try contact them.

A full list of such companies can be found here - Apple (United Kingdom) - Where to Buy - Apple Solution Experts - Education

You can search for your nearest ASE using the search box at this link

Thank Post
    No other schools have this set up?

Thank Post
    Hi,

What you normally do with Macs and AD is link them together in what Apple call the Magic Triangle. This is when the Macs OD authentics with the Windows AD. What this allows you to do is use the students normal home directories as they would on a Windows machine on the macs.

What sort of setup have you got at the moment?

Rich

Thank Post
    yes we have it set up in a magic triangle but i want any user on an iMac to be given a Mad home directory instead, to keep the iLife software happy...

Thank Post
    You don't need a separate home directory for the iLife software though. As long as the students can write in to their own home directories it will work fine. The only thing to watch out for is sometimes when the students login for the first time it doesn't create the appropriate directories, normally misses Movies. But if you just get each child to manually create them the first time it will work fine.
    Are you getting a specific error message in a specific program?

Thank Post
    ah, i was under the impression it wouldn't like the file system and windows based location.

As for specific error, i'll have to get back to you, i broke the setup i had this morning and need to reconfigure some stuff to get back to where i was last week.

Thank Post
    i had the issues where the iphoto etc was not happy with using a windows share but as it happens we issue the student with the same mac and they are fine just having a link to the windows documents on the dock
    it saved all the rubbish being copied to the network share also it speeds up data transfer as the machines are using the local hard drive to process videos/data .
    we just get the kids to copy the final projects to the windows share when they are finished.

another plus side is the kids wont damage the machines that they rely on for the year

Thank Post
    Ok just about got there. when i loaded iPhoto it asked which library to use (none listed) or whether i wanted to create one. i don't remember this from before but anyway...

I tried to create a new one in the home area and it tells me:
    'The library could not be opened because the file system of the library's volume is unsupported'

Thank Post
    Ok, that's a new one on me.

Do you have a folder at the route of your home share called photos?

Thank Post
    Yep.

Round2it - that's something i'm trying to avoid

Thank Post
    i could not get it to run off a ntfs share on my server but i have thought about using a nas formatted for mac to store profiles on or even utilise the mac mini server a bit more.

It just seemed to be the easiest option at the time as my knowledge of mac os was non existent over 10 years since i even looked at one and things have changed oh so much.

i was under pressure to get things working so i have not looked at anything else yet.

Thank Post
    iPhoto likes to save its stuff to HFS volumes

Thank Post
    so it seems, it's just making that happen that's the problem

Thank Post
    I was wondering if a different tack might be to mount a normal network location on the mac server that is just used for iphoto and use the windows 'home' for everything else but how can i locate the folder based on the login name?
    And is there a good way of bulk creating the folders/permissions

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information