+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, WGM 10.6.x and a OS X Lion System in Technical; I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but I can't find any sources to confirm. We ...
    Thank Post

WGM 10.6.x and a OS X Lion System

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but I can't find any sources to confirm. We have just started receiving a few new MacBooks with Lion installed. We have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server (10.6.8) that serves as our Open Directory and MCX handler. I can't see the new MacBooks that are running Lion in the WGM under Computers and I don't see them available when adding new members to a group of computers. Is it not possible to see Lion workstaions in WGM if it is not running on Lion itself?

Thank Post
    Mine is the same. Not impressed with that. I cheated and added the Macs through Active Directory search in WGM, but I have a nasty suspicion it doesn't work. I haven't looked at the clients much since deploying to see if the management is getting through - most preferences are user side so I'll cope without.

Thank Post
    3s-gtech: If I remember correctly, when using the Active Directory entry it does't see it as a managed client that can accept the MCX preferences. It might show the computer as part of the group but WGM doesn't really see it as a Mac that can accept the policies. I could be mistaken and I will give this a try. Not ready to upgrade the whole lot of 10.6.x computers for the 10 10.7.x systems.

Thank Post
    As suspected, can't send MCX preferences using the Active Directory computer entry.

Thank Post
    Nope, no surprise there. My little Mac Mini server is perfectly happy running 10.6, and I resent having to upgrade to 10.7 just to get this to work. Suppose it's just the same as when I installed S2K8R2 to manage Windows 7 clients though. Will have to consider a large scale migration to Lion in the future, but there are some reported problems with Pro Tools 8 on Lion - which we haven't long bought.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know a number of large institutes that have ended up buying old hardware to get around having to buy kit with Lion on ... because it is such a pig to try and run 2 OSes like this. It was the same with many of the previous releases too ...

Thank Post
    You may be able to download the Server Admin 10.7 tools and install them on a lion client. See if this allows you to manage these clients?

Thank Post
    I have some new discoveries to report today. I installed Lion on a MacBook that was previously setup with with Snow Leopard and connected to OD and AD and once Lion was installed it was receiving some of the MCX settings. However it wasn't perfect as it was stuck on loading a network share connection that I still can't find where it picked it up from.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread