+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Remote control a Mac server from a client in Technical; I'm managing our mac suite using the mac server in my office but while i'm figuring out image deployment i'm ...

Thank Post

Remote control a Mac server from a client

I'm managing our mac suite using the mac server in my office but while i'm figuring out image deployment i'm often down in the room with no access to the server to change settings, is there any way i can VNC or 'RDP' to the server from a client machine?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple Remote Desktop?

Thank Post
    So install it on the client and just make sure noone else has access to use it?

And it won't conflict with ARD running on the server already?

Thank Post
    We have used Chicken of the vnc in the past. You might need to enable some stuff in the sharing preference pane. I think its on sourceforge.

Thank Post
    Hi

Actually you don't need ARD, ChickenoftheVNC, JollyFastVNC or anything else. VNC Server and Client is built into every Mac (Client or Server OS). All you have to do is enable Remote Management in the Sharing Preferences Pane and enable all the options. Remote Management is enabled by default (as is SSH) on every Server OS install. You have to manually enable it on the Client OS.

Once enabled there are a number of ways to remotely connect to it. From any Client Mac simply click on the Go Menu and select Connect to Server. Key in the IP Address of the Mac Server preceded by vnc:// and at the prompt provide the Server's administrator name and password. Another way is to launch the Screen Sharing App which you'll find in /System/Library/CoreServices. Drop it into the Dock for easier access. Yet another way is to launch any browser and in the url field key in vnc://ipaddressoftheserver.

Once you've connected to the Mac Server you can enable further features in the Remote Management option in the Sharing Preferences Pane that will allow you to VNC from a PC. Click on the Computer Settings button and enable the "VNC Viewers may control screen with password" selection. Key in a password that is not the same as the local administrator's password. Download and install any one of these three VNC Viewers for Windows - RealVNC, TightVNC or UltraVNC. If it's RealVNC make sure you select the highest display colour option before connecting to the Server. There may be others you can use but the three I mention do work reliably.

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread