+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, win7pro login times via bootcamp on an rm cc4 network in Technical; Hi, We've just installed windows 7 pro onto an rm cc4 network on an imac via bootcamp and have noticed ...

Thank Post

win7pro login times via bootcamp on an rm cc4 network

Hi,

We've just installed windows 7 pro onto an rm cc4 network on an imac via bootcamp and have noticed that the cc4 network login times are awful. is this a known issue/can it be resolved? also, is it possible for the imac to boot straight into the windows partition from startup?

Cheers

Sam

Thank Post
    Hi

". . . . have noticed that the cc4 network login times are awful. is this a known issue/can it be resolved?"

I would say it was as I've noticed this on RM's CC4 Networks since it was first rolled out. It was particularly bad to begin with and has - in my opinion - marginally improved only a little since. I'm not talking about Macs here. I am talking about purely PCs. If it's bad for them then it will be the same for Win7 installed on a Mac. Essentially the issue you're seeing has very little to do with the fact it's a Mac in my experience.

There is a time sync issue when installing Windows OS on bare metal Macs. It's about an hour IIRC? So you might want to check your time sync. You do this on the PC side. In an SSO environment Server and Clients cant be out by more than 5 minutes.

"Is it possible for the imac to boot straight into the windows partition from startup?"

Yes. Either do this whilst logged into the Mac OS or the Windows OS. It's your choice. If you decide to do this on the Mac side log in as the local administrator and click on the Startup Disk Preference Pane - Apple Menu > System Preferences. Select Windows and click Restart. If you decide to do this on the PC side again log in as the local administrator and click on the BootCamp Icon in the task bar. Click on the BootCamp Control Panel and select Windows.

Forgive me but if you genuinely want the Macs to always boot into Windows I have to ask Why? You could have bought twice that amount of PCs for half the price. Moreover you're not really giving students - or anyone else - a chance to use and become familiar with an OS or a different way of computing that is not based around Windows. Users can get their fill of Windows on the PCs you have already have.

My 2p.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Hi Antonio,

It's strange because the administrator users login within a couple of seconds, sometimes almost instantly. The issue just seems to be with student users, some taking up to 5 minutes to log in, and this is with no other student users logged in around the school site. I dread to think how long it will take to log in with almost every station in use!

Sam

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @SC92: @AntonioRocco:

We have an RMCC4 network here and the login times are just seconds for everyone and once their profile is on the workstation it is almost instant. It must be something to do with your user permissions or your setup.

I would think that it will be configurable.

Thank Post
    @ SC92

Administrator accounts in my experience will have elevated privileges not normally assigned to standard or student users. What logging in as an administrator does though is it gives you the possibility of troubleshooting the issue as a permissions or access one?

I should add that not all RM CC Deployments are the same in my experience. Some of them are quite good and don't display the issues you're seeing. Others are like yours and sometimes worse. Clearly there's a difference somewhere? Which is what the other contributor (bossman) to your post is alluding to.

I think you're going to have to get RM involved in some way if you want an effective and long lasting solution?

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread