+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac N00b struggling in Technical; Hi all, So, someone I know contacts me and asks me to give them a hand with the MAC. We've ...

Thank Post

Mac N00b struggling

Hi all,

So, someone I know contacts me and asks me to give them a hand with the MAC. We've all been here one way or another...

So i turn up, and see the mac and the accounts on it and recognise it - it used to belong to another friend, and know he's a mutual friend of these people.
    It had a faulty power supply and that was repaired by an authorised apple peoples.

There are 3 user accounts on it, 2 from the original user and one from the new user. The original 2 are admins and the new one is the new owner, but is not an admin account.

So i couldn't do basic things like change the default wireless network.
    Needless to say through a few simple steps i created myself a new admin account, removed the old two, and made the current one an admin. I'll not post the method as it's in the wrong part of the forum for prying eyes but those of you who i'm hoping for a reply from will probably know!

So the new problem.
    She asks me to create a share to the laptop so we can move things around. So i figured that out.
    Then we wanted to put itunes on it. So i moved the music over the network and exported the playlists, put the music on, imported playlists working ok.
    Time to plug ipod in. This ipod cannot be used with this version of itunes.
    Download new itunes.
    Cannot be installed with this version of the OS. Ok can acrifice that.

So another problem is hotmail. Can view inbox but cant read emails. It says we need a new version of safari, or firefox etc.
    Ok, so download safari. Can't install it. need to upgrade OS.

Download firefox. Can't install it. Need new OS.

Ok, so this is starting to get annoying. So i look for an updates process and find one. But obviously it's for updates to that OS, not a new OS.

So i go for the link on OS updates. It turns out we're on Tiger and we need a Snow Leopard. So i go online, look for Snow Leopards, and it tells me I can have a snow leopard for 25 on an upgrade disc, but i can't find a downlaodable version or even a version to buy online.

So i look it up on a few forums and someone mentions something about a box set, which I didn't understand much of because it was a bit vague. But things were pointing at going to the apple shop and buying something for 25 which would solve my problem.

So i go the 30 miles to the nearest apple shop with said friend in tow, and see a genius. He informs me that it's not about snow leopards any more its all about the lions. But I can't have the Lions without the Snow Leopards and what I now need is a box set, which is 122.
    This is considerable more than 25. And by this point i'm thinking I'm buying some sort of expensive safari documentary series.

So I'm then told that they don't have it in stock anyway and I have to buy it online. But that I also can't download it and I have to have it delivered on a disc. So I can't download it and rip it to a disc.

I'm then told that actually, there's no activation etc and he borrowed his mates discs to do it. So if i know anyone, I can do that. Erm. As much as I don't think an apple employee should be saying that, it's apreciated so fair enough, nothing like being a good salesman lol. So I leave the genius and go buy some jeans while i'm there.

So I spot a currys and think you never know. I ask the man if they have any snow leopards and he says that I can get it online and download it, but I'm better off with a Lion, although a snow leopard should be in stock should I want one.

So now i've heard it all.

All I want to do is run apple software on an apple PC. I've never known such a thing from a windows machine. Forgive me mac fanboys - i've given it a chance - I have an iphone and things its great - but on this imac, within 10 minutes of only ever using a mac to connect it to a wireless network, i've managed to give myself full admin rights to it, and the files of the other administrators full control over the other admin accounts, etc, and can't do simple tasks due to the age of the OS - fair enough, Windows needs updating, but how old is XP now? Not come across any issues with simple tasks like checking email in a browser or installing itunes. Is it a nice way of apple making money by limiting their own software to the versions it will install on? Or is it genuinley necessary? I don't understand why the new components aren't free as an OS update online.

And can anyone tell me where to go from here? Do i purchase some sort of leopard? And does anyone have any knowledge of whether it has to go through quarantine, or if i can have it delivered to another address? (I may not be in, the neighbours wouldnt apreciate it - my grandma loves animals and has a garage to store it in until i get home).
    Also, is the leopard delivered in cub form or adult? i can fit a cub in the car, if it's an adult i'll how to borrow a friends van, incurring yet further expense for the expected damage, as the last time i transported a leopard in a van, it pulled out the ply lining, we can only assume this one will do the same. And, if I have to buy the Lion, can i purchase them both at the same time? And do they come in the same crate? I'm not sure how a snow leopard and a Lion will react to being in the same van. Unless they're both cubs?

As you can see, i'm very confused and any help with the situation would be greatly apreciated.

Mic

My posts are my own and do not represent the opinion, strategies or views of my employer or their associates.

Thank Post
    I have now realised that there is another issue... do i simply mount the Lion, or do I have to use the Snow Leopard with the Lion on top?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its an Intel one, just put Windows on it, much easier ...

Seriously though if you have access to another mac you should be able to download the Lion stuff and then use the utility to make it into a bootable USB key which you should then, if I understand it right, be able to do a fresh install of that. I could be completely wrong though as usually my only involvement with Macs is to cast a distainful eye over them when nessisary.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it came with Tiger I would check the spec and see if it will be happy with Lion first ...think of it like going from XP to Windows 7 .... quite likely to be possible but do you want to? Also check about upgrading the RAM too.

Thank Post
    it looks like a sealed unit lol i'll give it a poke.
    cheers guys. yeh i'd thought about the spec but the genius told me that it would be ok, thing is, i dont know what i want, i don't know if i have to have lion, or if snow cat will do?

Cheers Guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Would it be possible to post the Mac's model ID and the amount of RAM it currently has? To do this click the Apple menu (top left), then go to About This Mac and click the More Info... button. This will open System Profiler. The model name/number will be listed under Model Identifier (for example, mine is Macmini3,1).

Alternatively, copy-and-paste the model ID or the last three characters of your Mac's serial number (also in System Profiler) into the website below and it will tell you the exact spec.

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Thank Post
    As above posters have suggested, post the spec. If it's a later PPC model, no Snow Leopards or Lions for you - Leopard (10.5, still a great OS) will be the latest you can use.

Thank Post
    THanks peoples. Next time I can get my hands on the MAC which will probably be tonight or Sunday i will post the spec and model.
    I'm not bothered which animal I have so long as i can run the latest version of safari and itunes, with the ipod - i'll post the model of ipod too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    THanks peoples. Next time I can get my hands on the MAC which will probably be tonight or Sunday i will post the spec and model.
    I'm not bothered which animal I have so long as i can run the latest version of safari and itunes, with the ipod - i'll post the model of ipod too.
    If it is older and PPC based then you may have trouble with this as Apple support lasts until they release their next version. As such I am reasonably certain that I heard that the latest version of Safari and some other stuff simply won't run on an older Mac. They may need to follow Apple recommended practice and just buy a new one.

The other options are using a different browser like Firefox and possibly an older version of iTunes which may still support the iPod.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th July 2011 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack.
    They may just follow Sanderson recommended practise and not get another apple (mainly becasue then i can support it lol).
    Firefox didn't want to work either but i didn't play around trying to find an older version that will load on tiger but actually be useful for browsing. I might have another go at it.
    Itunes does install, it moans that the ipod isnt compatible i think.

Thank Post
    ok all, here goes...

512mb 2ghz intel core duo
    serial: w86069ggu2p
    mac 4,1

Thank Post
    I think you'll only get Snow leopard on that, Lion requires "Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor" whereas that mac just has a core duo.
    512mb isn't a lot tho, would be the first thing to bump up if they can afford it!

enter the serial here, says it can take up to 2gb.

Apple Serial Number Info // Decode your Mac's serial number!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I think you'll only get Snow leopard on that, Lion requires "Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor" whereas that mac just has a core duo.
    You can install Lion on a Core Duo Mac (at least unofficially).

Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    512MB isn't a lot tho, would be the first thing to bump up if they can afford it!
    Definitely! Upgrading the RAM to 2GB would be the first thing I would do too. Instructions on how to do this with the early 2006 iMac can be found here (or this YouTube video).

I would go with one of the 2GB memory kits below since they are both are guaranteed to be compatible with your iMac.

Code:
    Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz 200-pin SODIMMs (P/N: KTA-MB667K2/2G)

Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz 200-pin SODIMMs (P/N: CT541065)
    Alternatively, you can save a few s by buying this generic RAM. However, there is a small chance it may not work.
    Last edited by Arthur; 1st August 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Thank Post
    For future reference, here are the specs of your iMac...

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your help.
    I'll get the garunteed RAM ordered and into it straight away.
    In terms of upgrading, i'll be happy with the snow leopard, but what features do I lose if i done put leopard on in between?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast