+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Mac N00b struggling in Technical; Go with Snow Leopard. With the horror stories I have heard about OSX Lion, its not worth upgrading to that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go with Snow Leopard. With the horror stories I have heard about OSX Lion, its not worth upgrading to that (unless you do server version which you shouldn't be doing on that machine). Snow Leopard was/is solid as a rock in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Lion server is utter pants as well, so I would steer clear of it completely. Lion is 10.7 in case you weren't sure

Snow leopard (10.6) can boot and install directly from the DVD so no need to install leopard (10.5) beforehand. You can possibly get snow leopard from places such Used Mac at Scrumpymac.co.uk

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

AntonioRocco (3rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Why would michael2k6 need the server version of Mac OS X? Seems strange to even mention it.

I would go for Snow Leopard too. Strictly speaking you are not meant to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard (skipping Leopard), although lots of people do it...

To be clear, installing the $29 upgrade to Snow Leopard on a system not already running a properly licensed copy of Leopard is a violation of the end-user license agreement that comes with the product. But Apple's decision is a refreshing change: rewarding honest people with a hassle-free product rather than trying to punish dishonest people by treating everyone like a criminal. (Source)
    By the way, Lion won't work because the Finder is a 64-bit only app.

Thank Post
    I only mention server as it was mentioned above my post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I mentioned lion server as thats the only decent lion product, but I also mentioned he wouldnt be able to run it and that he should consider going to snow leopard

Thank Post
    All the input is apreciated
    Snow leopard it is, as soon as the RAM arrives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Why would michael2k6 need the server version of Mac OS X? Seems strange to even mention it.

I would go for Snow Leopard too. Strictly speaking you are not meant to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard (skipping Leopard), although lots of people do it...

By the way, Lion won't work because the Finder is a 64-bit only app.
    Never knew that but I got Leopard with my 2008 Mac Pro , did a fresh install of Leopard , repaired permissions before and after each update(s) until it was on the last update and then went ahead and upgraded to snow leopard, it completely borked it up so ended up doing a format and fresh install of snow leopard

Obviously then upgraded my RAM and boot drive to an SSD ( all OWC stuff ) and luckily apple gave me 10.6.3 dmg to install snow leopard for future ref.

Currently have 18gb ram, 240gb 6gbps owc ssd and 2 quad core xeon cpu's, still old in comparison to todays mac pro's sigh at least with regards to cpu, ram and bus speeds.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I mentioned lion server as thats the only decent lion product
    If Lion is rubbish, then Lion Server has to be rubbish too...

I want to clarify a couple of things before I dive into the review proper: First, just like previous versions, Lion Server is very much just OS X with server functionality laid over top of it. In appearance, performance, system requirements, and operation, it is mostly identical to OS X client. (Source)

Thank Post
    Hello Arthur

Lion Server at the moment has gone pretty much the same way that Snow Leopard went the first time it was released. Hopeless and frustrating! Which appears to be the case if you read the horror stories over on the Lion Server Support Forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/commun..._x_lion_server

However as is usual with most Support Forums, most (not all) will post if there are problems. Very few post reporting no problems at all. Most of those that post mentioning problems are having them because they've 'rolled their own' versions of Apache or Perl or SQL or Ruby and Samba and so on. Upgrades and/or Migrations from one version to another never go too well once you move away from Apple's stock install. Having said that some of the posts mentioning Open Directory being supremely mangled on Migration or Upgrade are disturbing.

I've not had a chance to install/test Lion Server yet so I can't say one way or another. But - as alluded to before - there were many were moaning how 'bad' 10.6 Server was, when it first came out, when compared to 10.5. I remember someone saying 10.5 Server was twice as bad as Vista and that's saying something! Personally I've never had a problem with Vista. Then again my needs are simple and I don't expect too much.

In my experience (and possibly yours?) OS X Server does not generally begin to 'settle down' until the .3 and/or .4 Updates are released. I half expect 10.7 Server to follow the same pattern.

The 10.7 Client OS is actually OK and I and others have been running it quite happily the day it was released. It also works fine with AD and/or OD. Granted there are a few differences but nothing really major. Hopefully others may find this link helpful which lists some of them:

Apple Tips Some Changes in Lion

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Just wanted to say thanks all the RAM is in and the Snow Leopard (Snowflake) has arrived. He did not arrive on a crate nor in a cage, but in a small cd package. He now lives in the MAC.

Thanks
    Mic

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12