+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Sensible thingsa to lock down and control in Mac OSX for students in Technical; What sort of things should i be looking to lock down and control in our mac suite?...

Thank Post

Sensible thingsa to lock down and control in Mac OSX for students

What sort of things should i be looking to lock down and control in our mac suite?

Thank Post
    You'll probably want to restrict access to the Mac App Store and Software Update, for two. Probably all of the /Applications/Utilities directory as well.

It's largely up to you, however. When I set up our Macs, I simply tried to emulate as much as I could from our Windows network, so that application/network access were similar, as were account preferences and settings. I.E. our pupils cannot change their wallpaper on Windows, so I removed access to the Desktop & Screensaver settings in System Preferences, so they couldn't on the mac, either.

I also restricted the menu items in the top bar so only the clock and volume control appear, set application access lists and limited some of directory navigation outside of a users' home area so pupils couldn't poke around where they shouldn't.

By no means will you get as granular a level of control as in AD networks, but most of the important stuff is covered in WGM and any other holes can be patched with a little scripting and system editing if you look hard enough. (For example I edited the Finder so that "Go to Folder..." and "Connect to Server..." were no longer available in the "Go" menu.)

Thank Post
    Thankyou

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Only administrators can purchase or install software from the Mac App Store, so if your students do not have admin rights there's no need to worry about this. The websites linked below have several suggestions for removing the dock icon and/or app if required.

The first and probably most important aspect of the App Store to most who are charged with managing large numbers of Mac OS X computers is that only administrative users can install software from the App Store. This little fact makes the App Store itself a non-issue for most enterprises, who do not make typical users administrative users. Because only administrative accounts can download and install applications, there is little risk created from leaving the App Store on client computers. (Source)
    In reality, the advent of the Mac App Store does not change things much for enterprise administrators.

If your users are admins, theyíve always been able to purchase, download and install software to company computers. If you have policy is place against this practice, that policy will be just as effective (or not) now as it was last week. So there is no change with the addition of a Mac App Store.

Non-admins canít purchase or install software from the App Store.

Bottom line: the App Store doesnít give users any new capabilities that they didnít already have. (Source)

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

dayzd (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I'd never checked up on the Mac App Store to see if it was admin only - I'd assumed it was something everyone could use, like purchasing stuff from iTunes.

Still gonna leave it restricted/out of the Dock, for no other reason than to stop time wasting! I put as little as possible in the Dock to stop pupils getting distracted!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread