+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Mac Server and Windows Active Directory in Technical; hi stevehp i have tried binding the mac clients to the mac server this morning but it keeps coming up ...
    Thank Post
    hi stevehp

i have tried binding the mac clients to the mac server this morning but it keeps coming up with unexpected error has occured this action has been cancelled, not sure what is wrong here it is asking for the diradmin account to link the imac to the server which is diradmin and then the password this then brings up the error and then i try again at another stage and it asks me for the local admin account username and password enter in the info and the same error pops up. Have you ever seen this before?

Thank Post
    Got it sorted there just open ldapv3 and removed the server settings and readded the server and it worked first time added the machine to the Mac OD and was able to add this to the suite so now its just a case of setting the preferences to the mac.

thank you for all your help

Thank Post
    I was wondering is it possible now that the clients can use single sign on can i then seperate it further by saying that when a user logs onto a standard windows xp it picks the documents up from windows file server but when a user then logs onto the Imac clients can they pick the documents from mac but also have a link to the windows documents at all?

this would then help with seperating out the documents folders so that i can use mac to backup all the mac work and the windows backup to backup windows work. what i am really wanting is that although the users can logon to any computer in school there documents for the mac side comes from the mac server and the documents from the windows side comes from windows server.

Is this possible at all?

Thank Post
    It's possible, but it's a pain in the backside.

They're called augmented records and it will allow you to have one user from one directory (AD in this case) have two home folders.

I attempted augmented records, but for the amount of users we have it wasn't time efficient as it requires a lot of hand editing the users inspector records. I'm sure some scripting genius could have automated a good deal of it but I'm no genius in that regard. You're better off with the magic triangle configuration where your established active directory domain serves both single sign on authentication and home folders.

5. Thanks to stevehp from:

Aaron (28th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi

"Is this possible at all?"

Yes and it's easier than you might think. Although it depends on how you have your AD Users Profile Settings configured? There's actually no real need for Augmented Records (which is just another way of doing AD-OD Integration or, if you like, Magic Triangle) either. If you've specified their Home Area location in the Profile Path then you simply add another Home Area location in the UNC Path and assign a suitable Drive Letter. This can be anywhere you like. Even a Mac Server. Assuming your Mac Server has the capacity and you've defined a suitable share point appropriately?

All you need do thereafter is assign appropriate redirects using the Global Policies Management Console for the home area defined in the Profile Path and you've achieved dual homes. One for Users when they log into a PC and one for when they log into a Mac. Again depending on how you've structured and configured your AD this could be hard or easy work?

From there your only possible problems are - albeit minor ones - finding some way to synchronize the data. Or at the least give access to Users Data depending on which platform they log into. Assuming this is something you want to provide? Your other potential issue will be backup. Clearly all this data - and once Macs are involved there will be lots of it, more than you think - will need backing up somewhere? Presumably? Although even this can be failry easily accommodated with a little bit of thought and with potentially no need for extra expense. Your only other problem after that is acquiring enough knowledge (a training course would be ideal/useful) in supporting a platform which is unfamiliar to you.

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 28th July 2011 at 06:55 PM.

7. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

Aaron (28th July 2011)

Thank Post
    hi guys from what i could see today when i have changed the folders on the main server this is now allowing me to login to the windows machines and pick up my documents and also now if i log into the mac its showing my documents from the windows side although if i save to the mac it is saving this locally. Is it possible for a share to be made on the mac server to allow instead of saving locally that it saves to the Mac server so that if the users need access to windows documents thats still possible but all mac saves go to the mac server.

Thank Post
    at the moment now when a user logs into the imac clients at the bottom of the dock it shows documents which is from the windows side so this is great but when i open a new document or file and hit save it seems to save locally i would like to change this instead of saving locally to the machine it saves to the Mac server share for there documents.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys for all your help all working great now at the moment what i have done is gone with the mobile home documents and set on the file server to locate to the apple mac server for there documents then set a share to the windows file server on the macs so that users can get access to windows files. It also means mac users on the windows side and get access to those files as well if needed. The normal windows users can log into the mac's now but save locally which isnt backed up whcih i dont mind because they would only be doing general searching really and I have left folder redirection on the windows side so that when the users log in they get there windows documents.

Thank you very much guys for all your help really has been a great help to get me this far

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12