+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Logging in Bootcamped Windows XP machines to OSX Server? in Technical; Hello all, we have iMacs in our classrooms (older white intelones) and in both of our ICT suites. I want ...

Thank Post

Logging in Bootcamped Windows XP machines to OSX Server?

Hello all,

we have iMacs in our classrooms (older white intelones) and in both of our ICT suites.

I want users to be able to boot into windows on occasion to use certain sotware.I have set up one machine with a windows bootcamp partition and it works well.

Is there any way I culd use OSX server to manage logging in to the computer and network? I'd like users to have access to their roving docs folder etc and to be shown an initial login chooser like they are when they log in to OSX.
    I have a halfway house at the moment with a couple of shortcuts to shared areas on the desktop which then asks for a username and password.

Is this possible?

On a second note - Ihave managed to link the windows partition to 2 of our printers using Bonjour for windows but not a third (which I guess must be linked to the network using some other protocol -although it is the same type as one of the working ones). Is there any way of discovering' the third printer so I can add it to the printer list as well?

cheers

MrBitey

Thank Post
    To manage the Windows side of your Mac, you need Group Policy via your AD Domain Controller. It counts as a "normal" PC.

For the printer, add it as an IP printer.

Thank Post
    Do you have a windows server/domain (do you not login to windows via domain accounts)? You can enable smb on OSX shares so that windows users can access them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    Do you have a windows server/domain (do you not login to windows via domain accounts)? You can enable smb on OSX shares so that windows users can access them
    Hi there we don't log into windows via domain accounts,no. Historically all our networking has been apple. these windows logins are a new development and I know nothing about windows servers and networking. Is there not some setting I can enable in OSX server and on the XP machine to give a list of network logins?

Thank Post
    As far as I am aware you can add OSX machines to the Windows based active directory but you cannot add Windows Based machines back onto the OSX Open directory - I may be wrong though.

Thank Post
    Hi

OSX Server can perform a Domain Controller Role if (a) it is an OD Master with Kerberos Running and (b) It is 'promoted' to a Primary Domain Controller in the SMB/Windows Service. As ever DNS has to be configured correctly and working on both pointers. You don't necessarily have to create SRV Records but it does help.

OSX Server as a PDC is equivalent to a Windows NT 4 SP4 Domain Controller with some 'limited' Win2K Server-like functionality. What this means is XP and older Operating Systems can be joined to its domain and use roaming profiles specified for Users in the Windows tab in WorkGroup Manager. Assuming that's something you want? Vista is supported but not without hacking the registry first. Windows7 is not supported without 3rd-Party help. This is because Microsoft removed all support for NT Domain Controllers. Even then your mileage will vary.

There are no 'policies' that can be applied to PCs using WorkGroup Manager or anything else available on OSX Server. What you can do is create scripts, batch files etc that can perform something similar which can be applied post successful login. Again this is done using the Windows tab in WorkGroup Manager.

Ironically I have been to AD environments where everything is 'managed' using 3rd-Party scripts downloaded from the Internet. What Microsoft provides in the Group Policy Interface is not used at all.

You can promote an OD Replica to a BDC but only if the PDC is an OD Master. What you can't easily do (if at all) is make OSX Server a BDC for a Windows PDC. Similarly you can't easily make a Windows Server a BDC for OSX Server in a PDC Role. I remember someone trying to do this about 4 years ago which did not turn out too well. OSX Server can be made a Domain Member in an AD environment. AFAIK and unless someone knows different you can't easily make a Windows Server a Domain Member in an OD Environment.

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    OSX Server only works as a PDC for clients up to XP SP1 - SP2 breaks it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manxdan View Post
    OSX Server only works as a PDC for clients up to XP SP1 - SP2 breaks it.
    Not true, it works in SP3.
    Guide: Using Mac OS X Server as a PDC | MikeBoylan.com
    Windows 7 is the only version of windows that doesn't support it as it doesn't talk to NT.
    God I miss NT. The days of broken NTconfig.pol files are never coming back (I hope).

9. Thanks to jubbi from:

manxdan (12th July 2011)

Thank Post

Exclamation Test test test!

It worked for us, but that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I highly encourage you to test heavily if you plan on using Mac OS X Server as a PDC. Put plainly, it's flaky. Also, as far as I know, the ability to use Mac OS X Server as a PDC was removed from Lion Server, so know that you'll be using technology that's considered depreciated.

I'll be keeping my article up for those who still need a guide on how to configure it, but I'd encourage everyone to look at something like dual directory binding (AD and OD) as a more viable and supported alternative.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread