+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Please Stop Crying. You're a Grown-Up and Should Know Better... in Technical; Lots of headlines read "IE9 on Windows Phone 7 is nearly there, but still lacks Flash ..." Looks like MrGates ...
    Thank Post
    Lots of headlines read

"IE9 on Windows Phone 7 is nearly there, but still lacks Flash ..."

Looks like MrGates is in on the act too... sorry flash fanboys....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    So you presumably write to each web designer and ask them what monitor they were using & what it was set at in terms of brightness, colour temperature, resolution, etc; plus what browser and plugins they had, and so-on? Because if you don't do all that then you're not really seeing the site the way the designer intended...
    Yes, yes I do.
    Last edited by Disease; 23rd June 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    So you presumably write to each web designer and ask them what monitor they were using & what it was set at in terms of brightness, colour temperature, resolution, etc; plus what browser and plugins they had, and so-on? Because if you don't do all that then you're not really seeing the site the way the designer intended...
    There's a big difference between what the web designer sees when he/she designs something, to what he/she intends you to see. For instance, if the website is designed on a 50" monitor does that mean I can't see it as the designer intended on my lowly 3" mobile? Not at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    There's a big difference between what the web designer sees when he/she designs something, to what he/she intends you to see. For instance, if the website is designed on a 50" monitor does that mean I can't see it as the designer intended on my lowly 3" mobile? Not at all.
    But if the designer intended you to view something in flash you won't be able to see it on an IPad, regradless of te monitor/Ipad size.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    But if the designer intended you to view something in flash you won't be able to see it on an IPad, regradless of te monitor/Ipad size.
    You do realise we're agreeing on this right?

Thank Post
    Depends on whether using flash is appropriate or not. If he intends that I have to sit through an unskippable intro page of how great his client is I can manage with out that. If he uses flash so he can have a brilliant page turning animation then he can cram it. If he has a half decent brain in his body then he will use it to complement his design or add greater functionality that regresses gracefully if is not available. The great thing about having NoScript is you get to see if a site was designed well or not by how long it takes me to need to add an exception for flash or some javascript addition. The better sites I see I can get everything fine with a little message telling me that I flash would make my life complete. I then allow it just to see what I am missing and find I wasn't missing anything.

& only 30% of the web available? Really. Considering 66% of flash videos are now also available as H.264 I find this stat dubious.

Thank Post
    What is very interesting is the replacements for Flash that are out there.

I genuinely expect that over the next year or two, flash will steadily be replaced by HTML5 Video and animations.

There's already an HTML5 version of YouTube, and if you Google CSS3 Spider Man, the first result is a complete animation (first post so I can't link to it! :@ ) with no embedded video and absolutely no Flash. It's a heck of a lot more lightweight and nicer to the browser than a big clunky flash player too.

In my opinion, I think Flash's days are numbered online.

rdk

Thank Post
    That CSS3 Spiderman played fine on Firefox on an iMac. On my iPad, animation fine with Atomic Browser, but no sound. Usng Safari on iPad animation very jerky and missing frames, and no sound. But shows that we'll be there soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12