+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OS X Lion "server" in Technical; Has anyone used the server tools in the developer release of Lion yet? If so, do they match up to ...

Thank Post

OS X Lion "server"

Has anyone used the server tools in the developer release of Lion yet? If so, do they match up to 10.6? Do we still have workgroup manager? I understand SaMBa has gone in favour of apples own SMB client.

Thank Post
    We've been working with it in the lab for the past week or so.

Server Admin has really much been replaced by a similar version of Server Preferences from 10.6
    Workgroup Manager is gone, and has been replaced by Profile Manager.

Honestly, I haven't worked with it too terribly much, and I can't say much at this point other than "expect changes". Hoping to know more tomorrow, I'll post back here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting to hear when the new ASE courses are out to start asking them when they feel they will be able to roll out Lion-based solutions ... I am loathe to roll onto the developer strand for it at the moment ... I don't really have the spare hardware for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I don't really have the spare hardware for it.
    VM?

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. I had a feeling WGM was gone. Such a shame as it's a great tool. I've managed to find an iMac to test it on, so by wednesday I should know what i'm dealing with. I do worry that while my schools become more interested in Mac OS, Apple seem to be less and less interested in schools by the day. I can see why with their consumer electronics brands booming, it makes sense for them to want to concentrate on that. It says something that the company is no longer called Apple Computer Inc...

Thank Post
    Sort of off topic I know, but I'm surprised you guys are still carrying on with Mac servers, considering the discontinuation of Xserve... it doesn't seem like Apple is really into the enterprise/educational thing anymore.

Although, this is coming from someone who has never even touched OS X Server!

Thank Post
    I'm working in primaries, so the requirements for server hardware is very low. All the heavy lifting is still done in school by the quad-core xeon's in the Dell T610's we use. The mac mini servers suit us fine as they are only really there to provide open directory and system policies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Cookeh View Post
    Sort of off topic I know, but I'm surprised you guys are still carrying on with Mac servers, considering the discontinuation of Xserve... it doesn't seem like Apple is really into the enterprise/educational thing anymore.

Although, this is coming from someone who has never even touched OS X Server!
    How do you managed mac desktops without a mac server? The end of XServe does not mean the end of mac servers.

Thank Post
    Well. I played around with lion server this morning. Everything is as it was it would appear. Server admin and workgroup manager both still work in DP4. There are some new tools and wizards for setting things up, but undeneath it all it looks the same. There are less services in server admin so some things have been removed like web isn't an option anymore, wiki and ical server arn't in the list. I'm guessing these will be back in the full release as they are listed on wikipedia as being updated.
    I had an issue with it saying I had in invalid hostname when I tried to set up an open directory master, but i'm not going to bother with that for now. Lion is nice btw. Launchpad is a bit pointless, but otherwise, it's a great update and the server tools seem to be enhanced rather than reduced as I'd feared. Now let me install it on a PC Xeon server and everything would be cracking.

Thank Post
    I wish we had the spare hardware to play with it. Got loads of fully functional, but retired, eMacs. PowerPC ftw.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread