+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, No DVD Media for OSX Lion? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    So from that it looks like it will follow the same licensing scheme for all App Store apps. You can install it on to all of your authorised Macs. Pretty decent value for money for home users. Just waiting to see how the educational licensing will work out. It'll be amazing if you can upgrade all of your Macs for just one £20.99 purchase!
    Only issue is, Wife has her own iTunes account, as do the step-kids .. so, whilst I can upgrade my own for that cost, I don't really fancy authorising the others to my account as that just becomes a nightmare (bad enough when the Wife comes running "what's your password, it's wants to update this App on my iPhone") ..

Thank Post
    Is it just me, or have Apple stopped thinking thing through to a logical conclusion and are just starting to do the whole "we ARE Apple .. you love us you therefore you WILL do as WE say and follow our path .. it is the ONLY path remember" .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    interesting blog on it all:

Is Apple planning to kill off Mac OS X? | PC Pro blog

As Gerald Ratner will testify, standing on stage and panning your own products isn’t a particularly effective sales strategy. Yet when Steve Jobs announced last night that he was “going to demote the PC and the Mac to just be a device”, it wasn’t a million miles away from the “total crap” quip that cost Ratner his job and, very nearly, his company.
    Does Apple really want or even need full-fat Mac OS X? The evidence increasingly suggests not. In four short years, iOS has acquired a 16.8% share of the smartphone market, according to Gartner: almost double the 9.3% market share Apple’s spent 10 years building with Mac OS X. On tablets, iOS and the iPad accounted for 80% of all sales in the first quarter of 2011, according to Context. iOS is mainstream: Mac OS X isn’t and likely never will be.
    Over the past couple of months, there have been continual rumours that Apple is testing the iPad’s A5 processor in its MacBook range, suggesting Apple believes iOS could stretch further than smartphones and tablets.
    The only part of Apple’s portfolio where iOS doesn’t make sense is in the high-end
    Indeed, recent developments in Mac OS X itself have borrowed heavily from iOS, not least touch gestures and, crucially, the Mac App Store. Even the new version of the operating system itself is a download-only “app”, available exclusively from the Mac App Store.
    You can see why a transition to iOS is appealing to Apple. Why would Jobs want to keep giving software companies a free ride on Mac OS X, when it could migrate MacBooks to iOS, mandate software purchases via the App Store only, and take a 30% cut of the revenue?
    The only part of Apple’s portfolio where iOS doesn’t make sense is in the high-end. Yet, Apple’s already discontinued its Xserve range of servers and the company barely speaks of its corporate customers these days: it’s almost exclusively fixated on the consumer market.
    Could Apple eventually phase out Mac OS X? I suspect it’s already doing so

Read more: Is Apple planning to kill off Mac OS X? | PC Pro blog Is Apple planning to kill off Mac OS X? | PC Pro blog

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Only issue is, Wife has her own iTunes account, as do the step-kids .. so, whilst I can upgrade my own for that cost, I don't really fancy authorising the others to my account as that just becomes a nightmare (bad enough when the Wife comes running "what's your password, it's wants to update this App on my iPhone") ..
    I don't think that will be a problem. You create an account for yourself on a computer in your home (up to 10, I think I heard they were doubling the device limit). You upgrade that computer to Lion. It's upgraded, job done.

Your wife doesn't need your itunes ID on her computer account on that machine to use Lion, it's not suddenly going to log her on in snow leopard or anything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I like to boot from the disc and do a clean install.
    How to create a bootable Mac OS X Lion USB installer from App Store download
    How to install Lion from an SD card
    Burning a Lion boot disc
    Creating a bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion disc (or USB stick)

I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't use exactly the same method for the final version of Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    What gets me about no DVD is that 4GB will take ages on my internet it can take me 2 hours to download iPad or iPhone updates.
    Do you not sleep? Surely you could download it overnight?

With a 1.544Mb broadband connection you can download 4GB in 5.895 hours (assuming the speed stayed the same). Even if if didn't finish by the time you woke up, you could pause the download and resume it before you went to bed.
    Last edited by Arthur; 9th June 2011 at 04:29 AM.

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

Zoom7000 (9th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yeah, I hope they do use the same method, or better still allow users to create a bootable USB/DVD from within System Preferences or similar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Just waiting to see how the educational licensing will work out. It'll be amazing if you can upgrade all of your Mac's for just one £20.99 purchase!
    See PDF for details...

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...US_version.pdf

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts
    How to burn a Lion boot disc | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Ref the net connection, im on virgin medias 50 mbps package so pretty fast. Not that it helps anyone else though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12