+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Apple Developer ID in Technical; I thought about a developer account but eventually found the ipsw online. I installed it and was told by the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought about a developer account but eventually found the ipsw online. I installed it and was told by the phone that it wasn't authorised. I thought about the triple swipe method but read on Gizmodo that it didn't really work. So I uninstalled iTunes 10.5 beta and restored my phone back to 4.3.3

So @mullet_man - yes I did but decided to wait until the official release.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Not related to assisting with getting iOS 5 working but is there a comprehensive list of iOS 5 features ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not related to assisting with getting iOS 5 working but is there a comprehensive list of iOS 5 features ?
    Try here Apple - iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I thought about a developer account but eventually found the ipsw online. I installed it and was told by the phone that it wasn't authorised. I thought about the triple swipe method but read on Gizmodo that it didn't really work. So I uninstalled iTunes 10.5 beta and restored my phone back to 4.3.3

So @mullet_man - yes I did but decided to wait until the official release.

Gareth
    @garethedmondson I paid to get added to a developer account cost $6.99.

Also if you can wait am hearing about a program which will activate without registering the UDID. Its being made now, not sure I should mention it here.

Thank Post
    ya I paid to get added to the beta as well. I did the same with the iOS 3 and 4 beta's. Cost me £3 this time around
    The initial release of iOS 5 has been incredibly stable compared to the previous beta's, before you were best off waiting until the 3rd or 4th release as they were so bad.
    I guess that shows how "mature" iOS is nowadays.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    iPhone4 with build A5220p

Having problems with videos encoded / re-encoded via Handbrake, Airplay is intermittent with certain apps (namely those originally built for iOS3 the tweaked for iOS4 ... anything native or rebuilt for iOS4 seems ok).
    Slow on loading Safari, with the odd crash and failure to load full page. Had this both times I have loaded iOS5 on now so it is consistent (and now reported)

Proxy settings did not pick up first time but this time round I have set it to forget networks first and adding a proxy in is fine now.

Wi-Fi seems to be more finicky to low signals, in my office (on the edge of my network) is picks it up 4 out of 5 times whilst on iOS4 (a lot of interference locally) but it only picks it 2 out of 5 on iOS5.

I am not signing up for a new AppleID to test iCloud yet ... still not 100% happy with some of the data handling information I am seeing. I am waiting to cable up the new office and have a decent wireless signal in here before trying it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mullet_man View Post
    @garethedmondson I paid to get added to a developer account cost $6.99.

Also if you can wait am hearing about a program which will activate without registering the UDID. Its being made now, not sure I should mention it here.
    How is it only $7?

Ah, you get added to somebody's developer account. Anyone got one to add me? :-D
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 12th June 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem with using some random developer account is that your phone is tied to that account until it expires (I've read this on the internet so could be wrong). Yes I could play $7 to some random person.

Maybe Edugeek could purchase one and sell off the registrations - not sure it's legal though. Anybody know?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I'm umming and arring at the moment about putting my iPhone onto iOS5, but there is no rollback. You can only upgrade to future beta or final releases ... so I am waiting to see what comes out from the first wave of developers as to what issues there are. Unless someone wants to send me an extra iPhone that is ...

As for sharing access, I am looking at it as I need to get a few devices tested on various networks, so let me read the fine print.
    I thought you could roll back?

How to downgrade iOS 5 beta to iOS 4.3.3 | Karthik.K Geek Center!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you can roll back but there is always a risk of bricking it beyond saving ... and when it is not a dev device but for usual personal use I prefer to see how frequently it goes wrong first.

I have put iOS5 on twice now and rolled back each time after doing some specific bits of testing. As it is a Beta 1 I expected to find it a tad too buggy to keep using it and I was right. When there is a new build I will try that with the same test, as well as seeing whether some reported bugs can still be replicated ... and then start looking for new bugs.

Don't get me wrong ... playing with Beta software is fun, but it is only done for 3 reasons.
    1 - To find bugs and to ensure new features work as designed
    2 - To ensure that existing features or systems will still work or to highlight where they don't (eg for me it is ensuring that wireless and proxy settings can easily be maintained)
    3 - To test new software designed to make the most of the new features.

There have been a few on the dev forums who have become a tad frustrated by non-devs / non-testers wanting it just because they want it now ... and end up moaning that things don't work properly yet.

Thank Post
    always a risk of bricking it beyond saving
    Just an FYI, it's impossible, 100% impossible to brick an iOS device beyond saving. DFU mode will always work no matter what you do to the device as it's stored on ROM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not related to assisting with getting iOS 5 working but is there a comprehensive list of iOS 5 features?
    iEatApples.com has a very comprehensive list of what's new...

http://www.ieatapples.com/ios5/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Just an FYI, it's impossible, 100% impossible to brick an iOS device beyond saving. DFU mode will always work no matter what you do to the device as it's stored on ROM.
    I know bricking is an over-used term but ... there are times when, due to hardware faults, that you find that you are unable to enter DFU. The fix for this is to return the device to Apple as a hardware failure but if it is out of warranty then you have to pay.

It is easier to use the term "bricked" rather than coming out with "The device is no longer functioning and is unable to return to a state for recovery or any form of firmware upgrade, downgrade or restoration ... possibly due to hardware or software faults, possibly engineered by the designers, possibly dues to environmental factors ... but resulting in a device which requires support from those outside of the realms of the owner / user".

It is rare for this to happen but one thing I have seen so far is if your device has previously overheated (left in the sun too long, etc) or been in too cold an environment then this can raise the risk / probability. Mine did overheat on the way bay from the EG conf (left in the sun whilst plugged in charging and on a long call) so I have reasonable grounds for concern.

Thank Post
    Liking iOS 5 so far, apart from finding many bugs.

Its pretty slow as well, and the battery life is poor compared to previous build.

A few bugs I have seen include.

Not being able to choose a background, just a white screen.
    Wireless Networks just showing blank white screen with nothing.
    Apps not working as should e.g. Facebook - Notifications section at bottom of screen is just blue (might be a App issue not Apples)
    Webpages not rendering correctly,e.g. grey sections of nothing.
    Alarm - When wanting to stop alarm, the slide to stop alarm had the wrong text, can't remember exactly what it said, was half a sleep this morning lol.

Can an non developer report back bugs? Never done it with Apple.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12