+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, The Future Is The Cloud in Technical; Originally Posted by zag The future of the corporate market is the cloud and a move away from dedicated storage ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    The future of the corporate market is the cloud and a move away from dedicated storage onsite.

Google and Apple understand this.
    No tbh corp will never go down this route, this is a possible plan for SMB but not corp.

As long as apple give the icloud url so it can be blocked as I cant think of anything worse on your net link then all the kids recording personal vids etc and them being uploaded automatically....
    If apple are good they will allow a separate url per type so you could allow files but not vids but I suspect that may never happen. The vids the iphone produce are not small and this is before you get to the fact that if the silly so and so has an ipad and iphone (madness I tell you ) when they record that vid it will start downloading over your netlink to all their devices without the intelligence of dropbox lan sharing. Who has 1gb net links currently?

Really a lot of iCloud was rather disappointing and confusing, 30 day limit on images but what is part of the daily backup?
    Consider that all they need to do these sync things is have wifi, not blocking icloud could create serious bandwidth issues if they devices are in mass used. Now if they had a redirect to X cloud server internally that would be win.
    I am going to download the dev versions for a play but icloud is certainly not business targeted and is purely for the home market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I am going to download the dev versions for a play but icloud is certainly not business targeted and is purely for the home market.
    As a Mac User ... looking at some of the fun stuff and how it will make some things easier for me to work between multiple devices.
    As a Mac Administrator (not that I am hands-on anymore) ... struggling to see how much worse Apple could have made my life.

I might have a chat with a few ASEs over the next few weeks, as they get access to all the dev / beta stuff, and see how they are going to have to change how they work. I'll also be interested to see how the Apple certification changes to go along with this.

Thank Post
    Nice to see Apple have almost caught up with the rest of the world

Thank Post
    good read, i agree with zag, it is the future of the corporate world

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    True big corps won't go cloud, they have global datacentres and stuff that they just don't want out in the open. They also have plenty of staff that are easily able to run the odd several dozen exchange servers that they need.

The cloud just puts the crowbar back where it belongs, you need more storage or some extra service you pay. If you don't pay the service gets switched off. No quibbeling over price, hardware or rational, just off. This is unfortunatly what some schools seem to need, they want to arge the point with their provider and they flat out loose whether it is supposedly 'for the children' or not.

Just look at the Amazon service crash, service fails and their responce, set it up properly and it would have worked and read your agreement properly next time.

Some stuff can be clouded others can't, this is just the same Software-as-a-service type of thing that people railed about ten years ago, now there are enough managers running the 'best profit for this quarter and damn the conciquences' school of orgaisation the idea of having no control over your infrastructure or software is taking off. Just look at the new MacOS release (probably the last before they scrap it entirely) cloud or nothing, not so much what the users want, but what the providers want.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12