+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OSX server 10.5 software raid in Technical; Has anyone successfully managed to set up software raid 1 on an xserve without reinstalling the operating system? I'm hoping ...

Thank Post

OSX server 10.5 software raid

Has anyone successfully managed to set up software raid 1 on an xserve without reinstalling the operating system? I'm hoping to avoid having to do this.

I have tried the instructions detailed here: RAID1 w/out a Reformat | Krypted.com, but I get the error "could not unmount disk 10000", when running the second command. I also got the same error when booted off the installation CD.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Hi

"Has anyone successfully managed to set up software raid 1 on an xserve without reinstalling the operating system?"

Yes. I do it all the time. However I always make sure I have a fully bootable cloned backup - just in case. In which case why bother? You may as well restore from the clone.

The commands in the link you provided don't look right to me?

Rather than trying to to this using the Installer DVD try Target Disk Mode (TDM) instead. Start up the Server in TDM (hold down the 'T' key on reboot) and connect it to any mac that accepts a firewire 800 cable connector. If you have a firewire cable that has 800 at one end or 400 at the other you can use that with hardware that only has firewire 400 outlets.

Launch Terminal and issue this command:

sudo diskutil list

You should see something like this:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *499.1 GB disk0
    1: GUID_partition_scheme *499.1 GB disk1
    2: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    3: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    4: Apple_HFS ServerHD 485.1 GB disk0s2
    5: Apple_HFS DataHD 485.1 GB disk1s2

All local drives will be part of the device tree located at /dev. Individual drives will follow that initial path with each additional drives being appended an ascending number. The above shows you the formatted partition followed by the initialised volumes

To convert the above System Drive - ServerHD - to a RAID Mirror issue this command:

sudo diskutil AppleRAID enable mirror /dev/disk0s2

This will place the system Drive into a degraded RAID Mirror state. You'll get feedback on the screen once this has been done. When finished disconnect the Server's drives and remove the firewire cable. Restart the Server. On successful login launch Disk Utility and add the other drive you're planning to use as the Secondary Mirror to the RAID Mirror you now see in Disk Utility. Depending on how much Data you have it can take a while. Your mileage as ever will vary.

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

3. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

_Bat_ (4th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this. Will give it a try when I'm back in the office.

Thank Post
    Thanks, Antonio. Your instructions were not far off what I'd already tried last week, that I didn't mention in my first post (I should have done but I was too frustrated to give a complete scenario )

After failing using the commands mentioned in my first post, I enabled raid on my new drive, did a live copy of the OS onto that drive, and then booted from that drive. That worked, and was essentially the first part of your post. I now had a degraded RAID. However I then tried to add my original drive to the raid array, and "repair" it using disk utility GUI. It just sat there for over two hours, claiming to be rebuilding the raid array, but not actually doing anything (no activity on the hard drives), and then eventually crashing the server entirely. This happened twice. Using terminal, it simply said unrecognized file system.

Before trying your method, which I considered too similar to what I'd already attempted, I did a little more research and found something that mentioned the 10.5 version of diskutil is buggy and to boot off a 10.4.7 installation CD, and run terminal off that. I didn't have any 10.4 disks, but I do have a 10.6 disk, so I booted off that, and using terminal off the disk it worked the first time, using identical commands.

Hope this helps someone else trying to do something similar.
    Last edited by _Bat_; 6th June 2011 at 09:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread