+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, folder permission problems in Technical; I have 4 mac's set up and bound to our windows server 2003 domain, they link to the users home ...
    Thank Post

folder permission problems

I have 4 mac's set up and bound to our windows server 2003 domain, they link to the users home folders with the network drive location derived as \\(mainserver)\(username) within the users folders are ones for the desktop and documents + downloads.

Everything for the most part is fine, the folders are set up with full read write permission for the user that is logged in or any domain administrator.

i am having problems where something is changing the folder permissions from the default settings to just everyone with delete permissions.

this means that when the user logs in to a windows machine which uses the same drive for the my documents and u:\ drive they are unable to access it, or back in to a mac for that matter.

i have to manually go back in and reset the permissions, every time i ask the kids what was the last computer they were logged in to they always say one of the 4 macs

has anyone come across this before?

thanks

Alun Jones

Thank Post
    an update, im still sure it has something to do with a program that the kids are running on the macs, that for some reason is able to change the permission on the folder, to try and prevent this im going through all of the folders got 850 to do, manually as im not sure a script would do it correctely and modify the users permssions, at the moment they are set to full, im going to set them up so that they gain special permissions on the folder, everything except the abuility to change permissions, im also going to stop owner and system from beeing allowed to change permissions.

i probably should have done it earlyer really.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread