+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Training etc ... what do you do ? in Technical; Take the 30 macs back and get 60 pcs...

Thank Post

Re: Training etc ... what do you do ?

Take the 30 macs back and get 60 pcs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Only 60?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah ... if you get 60 from Woolies from the back of the store from a *very* friendly guy ...

Take 10 back and use the money for training.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Taking the cheapest iMac at £639 on Apple UK website, 30 macs will cost £19,170. We cant get almost 80 computers for that price. :shock:

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

do you buy really low spec machines and reuse the old monitors?

Thank Post

FYI

We bought the Imac's with 80gig hdd, 1gig ram 1.83cpu for £475 a machine.

Not bad in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No Midget, we have a good supplier

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    In the real world it happens a lot. As those threads on here suggest. And it's no different in industry really. It is a problem and I suggested at the end of my response that there should really have been some planning. But the tone of your reply was a little harsh considering the machines are already bought and ready to use. So the best has to be made of the investment. Thus I said he needed to leverage that investment.

Unprofessional, or a little naive?
    Fair comment. As for the "little harsh", maybe that too but anyone who knows me well will tell you I never waste much time with sugar coating things.

I guess I was, still am actually, disappointed to see technical staff pull the same kind of stunt we criticise teachers so heavily for pulling on us. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Buying a suite of Macs to use iMovie does seem like a poor choice to me. I'm sorry but it does. Whatever people think of the ease of use of the various packages on various platforms (and let's be clear here, for my own personal use I would pick iMovie), the fact is that there isn't enough differentiation between iMovie and packages available on Windows to justify purchasing Macs to run it.

Purchasing Macs to run Pro Tools type software would be another thing again of course. Here the gap is wide enough to justify people having to learn a new OS and apps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

If we ever got any, I would be expected to learn it and then teach it, as happens with most things that are campus wide changes

Thank Post

I have recently purchased 26 iMacs and a mobile laptop trolley with 16 macbooks on them. I consulted with the Head about the purchase and he was eager.

We had a trial period for a Yr3 group that were learning the iLife suite and they came up with some great results. This was one reason that we purchased the macs. The way the pupils got to grips with the OS and the apps was amazing. They created some excellent comic strips using the included the comic life.

Being Intel-based as well means they can be boot-camped resulting in a dual-functioning machine that can double up as an additional mac suite.

We are the first Primary School in our district to be migrating to mac Hadrware and the schools for the future are very excited at the prospect and have already been in to show their enthusiam.

I say this because maybe there is a high school around your area that has macs and skilled users that would be willing to assist with your training. We are lucky that we have being supported by our local high school. They have been excellent with their support and have also invited our staff to attend their school and utilise their suite for some hands on training.

Overall though i feel that if schools keep with the same old then things will never change. Schools will still keep purchasing Microsoft products and paying through the nose for license and cal fees. I have now got a Server 2003 Domain with an OS X server integrated and the mail service running on that meaning i can now distribute email addresses to the pupils as well as the staff. Even if they do not use them it hasn't cost anything in cals so there really isn't a waste of money.

Software is also slowly starting to support macs more now as well so it won't just be for the music/video. One of if not the MAIN reason for migration is also viruses and malware. Right now there is no issue, and being a primary school that means a little less to worry about on my part.

Just my two pence worth.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Taking the cheapest iMac at £639 on Apple UK website, 30 macs will cost £19,170. We cant get almost 80 computers for that price. :shock:
    I calculate that I can get about 40 PC's for that. Also, £639 is an awful lot - as it is retail. Non-retail you can get the basic iMac for around £500. The price is very similar to Windows PC's.

If I were to look into installing a new class full of fat clients, I would seriously be looking at getting mac's due to their intel nature, their low footprint (only a monitor in size), and the ability to use imovie so we can encourage the use of movie making more.

Thank Post

I have recently purchased 26 iMacs and a mobile laptop trolley with 16 macbooks on them. ....
    You've got quite a big budget then

Being Intel-based as well means they can be boot-camped resulting in a dual-functioning machine that can double up as an additional mac suite.
    At a cost of £30+ per machine for an OS licence

Overall though i feel that if schools keep with the same old then things will never change. Schools will still keep purchasing Microsoft products
    Even with free products available such as OpenOffice - schools are quite reluctant to change from Microsoft - they'll keep on buying whatever is standard and is being pushed by suppliers - its just human nature

and paying through the nose for license and cal fees. I have now got a Server 2003 Domain with an OS X server integrated and the mail service running on that
    What size Primary School are you running there - thats a lot of money tied up in central resources IMHO

Even if they do not use them it hasn't cost anything in cals so there really isn't a waste of money.
    But if you bootcamped as you said you could/do - then you'd need the cals?

Software is also slowly starting to support macs more now as well so it won't just be for the music/video.
    I first head this phrase 20 years ago - about the same time Mr Gates said Windows xxx would be the fastest and most secure OS ever ever ever

One of if not the MAIN reason for migration is also viruses and malware. Right now there is no issue, and being a primary school that means a little less to worry about on my part.
    Heh - lets be generous and give you that one

Using kit thats different from the norm is interesting and exciting and all the other good words.

But its not going to hit the rest of us, trying to eek out every last drop of money on an ICT budget of 4k for a small primary

regards

Simon
    PS Any jobs going in your school

Thank Post

The development of ICT within my school has not been seen in around 2 years with very little support. They then employed me to look after the ICT hardware and network for not a lot of cash really considering the amount of work put in.

I think the lack of development is where the money has come from. I agree at the moment the cals and licenses from the xp clients being dual-booted need to be used but the hardware being replaced covers those cals but hopefully is just while the migration of remaining apps takes place.

I was actually referring to the cals needed when purchaseing exchange as i was told extra cals needed to be purchased either per device or per user if accessing from the outside world. Obviously to roll out mail services for all pupils as well as staff this would of been expensive in the term of a waste of money. I have mentioned before that i do not understand why cals need to be purchased. after all you buy the server you buy the client and you buy the cabling that connects the two together. where the hell does the cal fit in? An extra cost for naff all.

The school is indeed a small school which has one ICT Suite of the 26 iMacs. This was the reason we purchased the mabook trolley. admittedly it is a lot of cash, but the fact that they can be utilised anywhere in the school is a bonus for us since it now gives us the ability to have 2 ICT Suites at the same time. And since the pupils would be using them for creative work (iLife mainly) was the reason to go with apple macbooks. we got a reasonable price on all the hardware though so not too bad.

I thought that the EOL would actually be longer as well with macs since when upgrades come along (when CPU architecture isn't being changed) they generally run on machines that have quite a lifespan. Tiger installs on and old G3 clamshell iBook. Not natively i admit but can be made to install none-the less and runs fine. So hopefully the lifespan of the machines should go past 3 to around 5 years, saving us a bit of money since we dont need to upgrade hardware for the next OS.

But i also do believe more educational software is now being ported to support macs since quite a lot of schools are now taking them in.

Right now the OS X server is a mac mini with 512 MB of RAM and doing a grand job at that even net-restoring to 26 clients, slowly yes but still deploying.

The school is very ICT dependent. In saying that i mean the ICT is used every day and is utilised at the moment to the fullest potential that the staff can give. The pupils create some decent work in these lessons but i feel that their work can be taken in a different direction with collaborative projects utilising resources such as iLife (just due to the simple method of working with it and creating some good quality work with little effort) and then being able to get parents to view this work either through podcast vids or other means.

Work is being carried out across the board where ICT is concerned within our school. Taking in the mail lists for parents to subscribe to to get info about whats coming up or happening at school and website development that lets parents view the pupils work etc. Also maybe create pages of it themselves.

I think the investment pays off in ICT when it is used the way you envision it should be used by both pupils and staff. I hope with new hardware the staff will start to get on board. The pupils already are since the macs arrived they race each other to get to them (we only had six at first).

I feel that ICT development is going in the right direction in our school and that fact that apple hardware was purchased as opposed to standard pc gear is just a small part of it. It just gives us the option of what to use. The pc licenses would need to be purchased either way so to have the option is great for both the kids and staff, plus the additional software that comes with the gear.

I hope i have managed to cover all of the points you made above. I am not trying to defend myself just to point out our reasons from breaking away from the norm. ICT should be fun and whatever makes it fun is all good, isn't it?

Anyway post any issues that you may see i don't mind positive criticism as it all helps point out things i may have missed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was actually referring to the cals needed when purchaseing exchange as i was told extra cals needed to be purchased either per device or per user if accessing from the outside world. Obviously to roll out mail services for all pupils as well as staff this would of been expensive in the term of a waste of money. I have mentioned before that i do not understand why cals need to be purchased. after all you buy the server you buy the client and you buy the cabling that connects the two together. where the hell does the cal fit in? An extra cost for naff all.
    Open Source software can help you out here. For example, for this specific problem have a look at Zimbra.

http://www.zimbra.com/

Thank Post

I did look at zimbra but i didn't have the time to thouroughly test it out. I thought since we needed the os x server to manage the os x clients anyway we would already have a mail service that we could leverage. but from what i did see on the website it looked pretty good. do you know if it is web-based only(imap?) or pop3 as well?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast