+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac bound to AD but domain now found. Have I missed something? in Technical; Got a new iMac which I have bound to the network. I see it in AD but when I now ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mac bound to AD but domain now found. Have I missed something?

Got a new iMac which I have bound to the network.

I see it in AD but when I now restart the Mac it refuses to log onto the domain.

Logging on as local again and checking the directory Utility the domain is no longer accessible. What did I miss doingg?

Steps to Bind were:

Applications / Utility / directory Utility.app / Services Tab / Active Directory

Followed this through and with Domain admin powers bound the mac.

Next System Preferences / Accounts / Login Options / Disabled Automatic and changed Names to Names and Password.

restart and tried domain\account with password

Failed

Logged back on local and checked to find domain no longer available and Internet also no longer connected. All IP's look ok.
    Last edited by speckytecky; 31st March 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Well, we have one classroom with 20 macs here, and the plan was to bind them to Active Directory aswell. I could join them to the domain using the tools in system preferences, and everything seemed fine. But after a reboot, the domain could not be found anymore. I have spend a couple of days on this problem, but never found a solution.

What we do now, is use a local profile named "student" without password, so every student can log in using that. And I made a script witch give the student the option to enter their student number and password so then it mounts their home directory located on the windows server, so they can access their own files. When user logs off, the student profile is overwritten by a default profile again, so stuff dont get messed up for the next user.

3. Thanks to Treecat from:

speckytecky (31st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is this issue a setting that I need to change in Directory Utility / Advanced / User Experience:

Currently Mapping and Administrative - nothing ticked.
    Network Protocol SMB and Default User Shell bin/bash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Treecat - your first I notice!

I don't want to run a workaround though - I'm thinking it must be a step thats really simple that I'm missing. I had the same issue with the Internet and managed to find the setting to change for that. I'm thinking that as the Mac has bound to the domain but subsequently the domain is shown but listed as not available then it must be a setting somewhere that would clearly be obvious to an experienced Mac Tech but missing / less obvious to us old Windows folk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treecat View Post
    Well, we have one classroom with 20 macs here, and the plan was to bind them to Active Directory aswell. I could join them to the domain using the tools in system preferences, and everything seemed fine. But after a reboot, the domain could not be found anymore. I have spend a couple of days on this problem, but never found a solution.

What we do now, is use a local profile named "student" without password, so every student can log in using that. And I made a script witch give the student the option to enter their student number and password so then it mounts their home directory located on the windows server, so they can access their own files. When user logs off, the student profile is overwritten by a default profile again, so stuff dont get messed up for the next user.

Thank Post
    Macs are very sensitive to the time being off - make sure that the times are synced.

Thank Post
    100% on the above, that's where our early issues arose - set them to sync to your NTP server.

Not got a Mac in front of me to check the individual directory settings for you, but the AD server not responding could be caused by a number of problems. Is your DNS working nicely? Is your domain not named domain.local?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Job done - turned out that a restart isn't good enough for Macs.

Shutting it down then starting up again and it let me log onto the Domain!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK I now hate Macs

I was logged on it on the Domain adding printers then it lost the network ability again - mid adding a printer and has refused to let me log back on the domain ever since!

Thank Post
    Kinda sounds right like the problems I had, sometimes it works, and with luck also after a reboot, and then at random times it just refuses to connect again. If you find a solution then I would be happy if you post it here, I might consider putting our macs on the domain again if there's a solution to this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Strange old thing!

Successfully bound several to the domain yesterday.

Had to go to Network / advance / directory Utility then set a new setting in LDAPV3 and configured it's various settings for our proxy.

Not convinced about having Macs on the AD as apart from being able to log onto the domain and folder access what else is actually useful about it?

Thank Post
    With the 'Magic Triangle' running, it's a nice system. Then you can lock down settings, manage centralised features etc, and only have to issue one account per user. Backups come from their usual home areas too. I'd counter - why wouldn't you have them on AD? When it's sorted, they just work.

13. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

speckytecky (8th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Only problem with the magic triangle is that you must have an Apple server for that, and if you only have 15 macs like us then its not really worth it to get another server just for that.

Thank Post
    Check your DNS is perfect for forward and reverse lookups. In directory utility, make sure your AD is the first item in the search path, and again, time has to be correct with your domain controller +/- 5 minutes I believe.

Re - golden triangle. Run OS X server on any old second hand Mac, and you have a very cheap, secure solution to managing a small amount of Macs.

Thank Post
    The shutting down fix would point to time difference. Is your Mac synced to a NTP ( time ) server?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've had similar issues. What it came down to was that OS X seems to take a little while after boot to get a DHCP address and get its DNS resolution working. The solution we came up with was to set a managed preference to show the network status on the login prompt and add a message asking the user not to attempt login until the light goes green. This does require a Mac server though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast