+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, Replacement for MyMaths? in Technical; Originally Posted by dhicks Hang on - is that Flash-to-native-iOS-app or Flash-to-a-bunch-of-HTML/Javascript/SVG/CSS-files? Native iOS unfortunatly: Developing for iOS using Flash ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Hang on - is that Flash-to-native-iOS-app or Flash-to-a-bunch-of-HTML/Javascript/SVG/CSS-files?
    Native iOS unfortunatly:
    Developing for iOS using Flash Professional | Adobe Developer Connection

2. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (8th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Maybe it is in retaliation for iTunes on the PC
    Could well be

Thank Post
    I also came across this on my search for the answer that Synack gave:

Ansca Mobile's advanced mobile app development tool

5. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

dhicks (8th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Native iOS unfortunatly
    On the one hand, drat - no handily-available tool to do web-based animation and client-side rapid application development. On the other hand, that saves me bothering to buy a new copy of Flash and, hopefully, leaves the way open for some smaller, quicker companies to bring out a SVG-based package or something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the one hand, drat - no handily-available tool to do web-based animation and client-side rapid application development. On the other hand, that saves me bothering to buy a new copy of Flash and, hopefully, leaves the way open for some smaller, quicker companies to bring out a SVG-based package or something.
    Inkscape would probably be a good starting point as it already handles SVG extremely well.

Thank Post
    Inkscape would probably be a good starting point as it already handles SVG extremely well.
    Indeed, it's what I'm using at the moment. So far I've tried animating it with the SVG library add-on for JQuery - you split the SVG object in to layers in Inkscape, which wind up as named groups in the SVG file, then you can use JQuery to manipulate that SVG file. Unfortunatly, Inkscape doesn't use the ID field of the group tag to name its layers, it uses its own attribute, so it's a bit more messing around to get the ID of the element you want, and Jquery's standard animate function does something screwy if you try and animate an object rotating around a point - it starts and ends in the right place, and rotates at the correct rate, it just does a somewhat random translation in the middle bit, so your object starts wandering around the screen.

I think I'm going to try a Javascript physics library instead and see how I get on with that - I'm also interested to see how well the iPad handles Javascript, whether it can manage to do physics calulations in real-time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to try a Javascript physics library instead and see how I get on with that - I'm also interested to see how well the iPad handles Javascript, whether it can manage to do physics calulations in real-time.
    It all depends on how complicated the physics you are modeling are, the computer on the Apollo spacecraft did physics calculations just fine with less cpu pover than my toaster has. The javascript engines on both Android and the iToys are pretty good so unless your doing full 3D physics simulation your probably good.

What is an Apple trust?
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th April 2011 at 07:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTrustTec View Post
    I had a look at Manga High and alas it is Flash.
    Some good news: I can confirm that we've started working on a version of Mangahigh.com which will be compatible with iPad. We're hoping to be in a position to release it late this year.

Some even better news: As of next week, full access to Mangahigh.com will become COMPLETELY FREE for UK and Irish schools! Schools will be able to use all of our maths games, all of our adaptive questions (now over 45,000!), and all of the analytics tools that are so valuable for teachers. And this is not a temporary thing - we plan to keep access free for UK schools for ever!

Schools' budgets are so restricted at the moment, so we're hoping this move will be really helpful for the many schools who have tried Mangahigh, but were previously unable to subscribe.

11. Thanks to Mangahigh from:

dhicks (28th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangahigh View Post
    Some good news: I can confirm that we've started working on a version of Mangahigh.com which will be compatible with iPad.
    As an native iPad app, or as a website compatible with the iPad's browser?

Schools' budgets are so restricted at the moment, so we're hoping this move will be really helpful for the many schools who have tried Mangahigh, but were previously unable to subscribe.
    How is it you'll make money?

Thank Post
    As an native iPad app, or as a website compatible with the iPad's browser?
    Compatible with the browser, rather than an app. I'm not on the technical side, but I believe it's something to do with html5!

How is it you'll make money?
    We're still charging schools in much of the World, where education budgets are not being restricted so tightly at the moment. We've had a lot of success in places like Brazil and Australia.

We may also look to offer additional features for parents to optionally subscribe to in the future; info on their child's performance, extra revision packages etc. The resources will remain free to UK/US/RoI schools though.

14. Thanks to Mangahigh from:

dhicks (28th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTrustTec View Post
    To be honest I think the MyMaths Flash files would output fine but as I say they don't even seem to want to look down that avenue.
    Is there any reason they couldn't use Gordon or SmokeScreen as an interim solution? As you said, they are being very short-sighted.

Chris Smoak’s Smokescreen, “a Flash player written in JavaScript”, is an incredible piece of work. It runs entirely in the browser, reads in SWF binaries, unzips them (in native JS), extracts images and embedded audio and turns them in to base64 encoded data:uris, then stitches the vector graphics back together as animated SVG. Open up the Chrome Web Inspector while the demo is running and you can see the SVG changing in real time. Smokescreen even implements its own ActionScript bytecode interpreter. It’s stated intention is to allow Flash banner ads to execute on the iPad and iPhone, but there are plenty of other interesting applications (such as news site infographics). The company behind it have announced plans to open source it in the near future. (Source)
    Gordon lets you run your SWF movie files in a JavaScript based environment, without the need of any plugins or additional software. It takes advantage of the latest web technologies like SVG to render vector based graphics or Web Workers for enhanced performance and to parse even large SWF’s in the background, without blocking the user interface. Furthermore, it gives you full access and control of the resources, characters and timeline behaviours in your movie via JavaScript or DOM scripting. (Source)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliee View Post
    Hi,

tell your students to download the app 'puffin free' this is an alternative browser and it works
    Quite a old thread back from 2011 - I would image the chappy has already found an alternative.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Edit: wrong place!
    Last edited by localzuk; 20th January 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    @localzuk. Based on your comment, I don't think you are talking about MyMaths?
    Last edited by Arthur; 20th January 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    @localzuk. Based on your comment, I don't think you are talking about MyMaths?
    Nope! No idea what happened there! I was replying to a completely different thread!! I shall edit and post to the right place methinks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast