+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Mac Thread, How to create an OS X Default Profile/Template & Bind to AD - 10.5 - 10.8 in Technical; Originally Posted by USCJustinS Is there an easy way to accomplish the same thing on Mountain Lion? I have not ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USCJustinS View Post
    Is there an easy way to accomplish the same thing on Mountain Lion?
    I have not managed to get the script to work in ML. So in the interim,
    1. I created a admin user called "profile" set everything up in that account the way I want...
    2. I ran onyx to clear all the recent items and other cruft that accumulates during this process
    3.Then I login to root user (I have had troubles doing this under a normal admin account), enable hidden folders by entering the following command in the terminal:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES; killall -HUP Finder
    (the users library folder is hidden)
    4. Go to the Root Level of HD-> Users/profile (or whatever you called the default template user) and open the users library folder.
    5. From the library folder, copy the Preferences folder and the Safari folder (if you configured Safari Bookmarks etc).
    6. Browse to System-> Library -> User Template and option+drag the english.lproj folder to the desktop or another backup location. Call the something like english.lproj_orig, (incase you need to start again)
    7. Paste the folders copied over from the default user in step 5 into the english.lproj folder in the user template folder.
    8. Run Repair disk permissions in disk utility to clear up any "ownership issues"

Your new users should now be based on this template, but its good to test before deployment just incase, sometimes this doesnt work for some reason.
    Sorry if this seems like a bit of a long winded process but its the only one I have got to work on a consistent basis...
    Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USCJustinS View Post
    Is there an easy way to accomplish the same thing on Mountain Lion?
    Should be the same as in Lion and this IS the easy way !!!

Thank Post
    Works fine with OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion using the same "OS X Lion 10.7" script.

What errors are you getting? The best thing is to open the script in Automator then run it within the program and it will show you step by step the actions then show you where it has an issue.

I've tested this with the latest version of OS X 10.8.2 and logged into the computer using a new AD user and gives me the same profile as the "default" user.

Thank Post

Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Works fine with OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion using the same "OS X Lion 10.7" script.

What errors are you getting? The best thing is to open the script in Automator then run it within the program and it will show you step by step the actions then show you where it has an issue.

I've tested this with the latest version of OS X 10.8.2 and logged into the computer using a new AD user and gives me the same profile as the "default" user.

Hi I have mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the Lion Script doesnt work. Im getting in Automator. SUDO: no tty present and no askpass program specified. This is on a fresh install and all updates applied.

Whats tty have you got any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasric89 View Post
    Hi I have mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the Lion Script doesnt work. Im getting in Automator. SUDO: no tty present and no askpass program specified. This is on a fresh install and all updates applied.

Whats tty have you got any ideas?
    I use this script under the "root" user. If you are not using root user this will not run. "root" user should rarely be used but because there are a a number of commands in this script that use sudo I used the root user so there is no prompting. Also make sure the user you are using is called "default"

** Next year I plan to change this to "administrator"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I use this script under the "root" user. If you are not using root user this will not run. "root" user should rarely be used but because there are a a number of commands in this script that use sudo I used the root user so there is no prompting. Also make sure the user you are using is called "default"

** Next year I plan to change this to "administrator"
    Oh yes sorry I remember now. That worked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasric89 View Post
    Oh yes sorry I remember now. That worked.
    what was the issue? Was it that you were not using "root" or "default" user?

Thank Post
    Hey Carter this may be a crazy question, but in the Automator script for Lion/Mountain Lion did you remove the command for repair permissions?
    I was looking at the script and didn't see it.

Thank Post
    Hi Sir,
    Is the default profile/template for OS X Lion will work also for OS X Mountain Lion?

Thank Post
    Hello Carter,

I've followed the steps outlined in your instructions; however I'm getting the same error here as mentioned by Sampson. When logging in with an AD user, I get the "the system was unable to unlock your login keychain". I tried to download the updated file from the link but it appears broken?

Thank Post
    Does this script work in Mavericks? It's time to start updating my Macs at work. Thank you for creating this script!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234