+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, How to create an OS X Default Profile/Template & Bind to AD - 10.5 - 10.8 in Technical; Originally Posted by srfrdrew Carter, first wanted to thank you for putting the time into this. This is exactly what ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srfrdrew View Post
    Carter, first wanted to thank you for putting the time into this. This is exactly what I am looking for. Much Appreciate! I currently support an organization that is moving from a Windows to OS X environment (Maintaining our AD backend) and we we're doing the same thing with the Default profile albeit for Windows as we plan now to do with OS X. My concern is doing it correctly and I have a few concerns, questions, etc.
    1.) We will be using AdmitMac for binding our AD with OS X, should this be installed and setup during the creation of the Default User? I would assume yes?
    2.) We will be also using DeepFreeze for Mac, I would assume we install and freeze workstations once we have completed the whole process?
    3.) We currently Map (I know, Mount) several shares based on user profile, anything to take in consideration or be aware of on the Mac side of things?
    4.) We will be using Jamf Composer and Imaging suite, anything here to take into consideration or be aware of?
    5.) Sounds like you install all the software and configure to your taste, then go though the process of creating the default profile, quite similar to Windows creation of default profile.

Thanks for your prompt assistance and support.

Much appreciated
    Andrew

1.) We will be using AdmitMac for binding our AD with OS X, should this be installed and setup during the creation of the Default User? I would assume yes?
    The computers should be bound to AD after they have been imaged. This way they get entered into AD with the computer name given to the computer. We use Deploy Studio which does it all for us. After imaging the computer restarts and it automatically binds to AD, OD & then installs the DeepFreeze seed we have created. Install DF after the computer is imaged just makes for a cleaner install.

2.) We will be also using DeepFreeze for Mac, I would assume we install and freeze workstations once we have completed the whole process?
    Se answer to #1 :-)

3.) We currently Map (I know, Mount) several shares based on user profile, anything to take in consideration or be aware of on the Mac side of things?
    Mapping can be easy but I find that though the shares mount as a drive it will put the server in the side list in the finder. If the user tries to click on the server they will see more than they should though they will only have access to what they should. I hide "Servers" from the finder window. This way they just see the mounted shares that they are suposed to see.

4.) We will be using Jamf Composer and Imaging suite, anything here to take into consideration or be aware of?
    We use Deploy Studio and though I played around with Jamf I never just stayed with DS so not really sure what there is now to look at with the product.

5.) Sounds like you install all the software and configure to your taste, then go though the process of creating the default profile, quite similar to Windows creation of default profile.
    Yes though sysprep for Windows 7 is a nightmare .... sorry, I mean garbage IMO haha. Worked better in Windows XP though yes it has a few good options for 7. i just created this script as it really just runs a number of commands to clean up the profile and to run tasks for you rather than sitting there and running each task on your own. You can add to the script if there is anything else you would like to to add for the process.

2. Thanks to Carter from:

lemire (5th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Cool, thanks again Carter for your support and time. I may be back shortly with some additional Q's once I get things rolling!

Thank Post
    Hi Carter, went though the steps implicitly, at the point of running your script... I get this message " The action "run shell script" encountered an error. Check the actions properties and try running the workflow again.

Running 10.7.4. You prompt response would be greatly appreciated as we are sitting here dead in water until we get an answer

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Hi Carter, went though the steps implicitly, at the point of running your script... I get this message " The action "run shell script" encountered an error. Check the actions properties and try running the workflow again.

Running 10.7.4. You prompt response would be greatly appreciated as we are sitting here dead in water until we get an answer

Thanks again.
    Open up he AutoMator application then open up the script. When open select the run option. This will run the script but show u where it fails and should be able to figureout from here what might be he issue.

Thank Post
    O.K. create a default user called "defaultuser" the error is cp:/users/default/*: No such file or directory (1)

so it looks like the name of our defaultuser is the culprit? can we modify the script? or should we blow up that defaultuser account and create default?

Thank Post
    Where you have Automator open you should see all the commands That run. just change the user "default" to the username u use and save as an application.

Thank Post
    Yep, we got it to work Carter... Magnificient amount of work you saved us.. Cheers to you!

Question, where did you get those wallpaper images on your youtube demos? The Racer, the Robot, the Frog and the broken down carscape sceen? Is it possible to get?

Thanks again for your help!

Thank Post
    it works...thanks for the template and it really help us.

Thank Post
    Yep, we got it to work Carter... Magnificient amount of work you saved us.. Cheers to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by artmcortez View Post
    it works...thanks for the template and it really help us.
    Great to hear!!

Question, where did you get those wallpaper images on your youtube demos? The Racer, the Robot, the Frog and the broken down carscape sceen? Is it possible to get?

Thanks again for your help!
    I've collected a large Wallpaper gallery over the years so not sure where I've got most of them but two sites I use are interfacelift wallpapers, icons, themes, and iOS apps & The Paper Wall

Here are the ones you asked about Carter's Wallpapers - Imgur

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Great to hear!!

I've collected a large Wallpaper gallery over the years so not sure where I've got most of them but two sites I use are interfacelift wallpapers, icons, themes, and iOS apps & The Paper Wall

Here are the ones you asked about Carter's Wallpapers - Imgur

COOL!, thanks so much again Carter!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kahnibus View Post
    Hi Carter,
    I got this to work, however....

When an LDAP user logins into the computer they get prompted with "The System was Unable to unlock your Keychain" .....any ideas?

I have gone into the "default" user and deleted the Keychain, restarted and ran your script again. The keychain error is still present.

thanks for any help
    Hi Carter,

I'm getting the same error here. When logging in with an AD user, I get the "the system was unable to unlock your login keychain". So I have to Create a new Keychain.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Can you try downloading this one and give it a try http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121843/Lion_...le_Aug2012.zip

I have a computer imaging right now and I will give this a try. I only use AD accounts so I've never tried with an LDAP user but will give this a quic

Thank Post
    I don't have permission to edit the post with the links so I've reported it to see if a MOD can change them for me. Hope to have the update links there soon.

Thank Post
    Had same problem, runned all line of the script by copying them from automator to terminal window, worked but did not do what i thought it should 1st im running osx 10.7.2 and /User/default doesn't exist, so i assumed "default" refer to the username under which you did the configuration of the workspace, 2nd instead of cleaning the folder under English.lproj wouldn't you be better running a cleaner before login off (like onyx) 3rd for those that are not using the mac with an English interface you can change the English.lproj to French.lproj or whatever is your language assuming you refer to the folder User Template to name it. Thanks for this doc though it helped me understand the default profile

Thank Post
    Is there an easy way to accomplish the same thing on Mountain Lion?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast