+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Moving Home Folders in Technical; The use of Macs on the network has really taken off, especially with the children creating their own webpages using ...

Thank Post

Moving Home Folders

The use of Macs on the network has really taken off, especially with the children creating their own webpages using iWeb. This is great, but the server where there home drives are stored is rapidly filling up and I need to move it to a new Storage server. However when I've attempted to move them Windows has complained that it can't because the file names are to long, so I looked in to it and the file/folder names used for iWeb are enourmous.
    Does anyone know how to move these files and folders?
    Any ideas gratefully received as I'm running out of space at circa 500Mb a week.
    Rich

Thank Post
    Moving to storage serving over AFP would be the preferred route. Perhaps a Mac mini server with a RAID'd DAS device? depending on the number of client Macs...

Thank Post
    I don't know if I explained it very well, we do have an Xserve but don't use it for the home drives as they are already on the Windows Server.

Thank Post
    Hi Rich,

You could run FTP over TCP/IP with a server running on one platform and a client on the other to transfer the files. FTP should cope with the long file names.

Alternatively you could use a Mac client to connect to the Windows servers via SAMBA to perform the data migration.

Hope that helps!

5. Thanks to jwpercival from:

Tricky_Dicky (11th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Just in case anyone runs in to this problem again, it's basically when the children create a blog using iWeb it create a file that has a full path of 301 characters and Windows complains when trying to move it. I got round this by just mounting the drives I was moving from and to on the Mac server and transfered it that way. Still had a couple of complaints when I had to go back and move them a folder down but overall it has worked.
    Rich

Thank Post
    Out of Interest do you have more space on the XServe as opposed to the Windows domain? I use the XRAID here to store the home dirs and use smb to connect the windows users to the Homedir and directed to the Documents folder in the Group Policies.

This seems to work really well. I then use IIS on the Windows server coupled with the FTP Service and have taught the pupils how to configure iWeb for FTP access. IIS is configured to pick up the information directly fro the shared folder where they publish their sites to.

I use the FTP service on the windows server as Apple's FTP service is terrible.

Just another option

Thank Post
    No, we have a much larger Windows server, it's a 12Tb NEC device where as the Xserve has about 1Tb available on it's RAID.

We are doing a similar thing now. All the children have an iWeb site which we have also taught them to put in the FTP details but we use the XServe to host them on as it's so much simpler to do with the built in FTP. It also keeps it that little bit more separate from the rest of the network which is nice.

Good options though. Our Apple network has expanded a bit since I last visited you, you should pop over and have a look if you're free one day.
    Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    Our Apple network has expanded a bit since I last visited you, you should pop over and have a look if you're free one day.
    Rich
    I would love to come over and see what you guys have been getting up to. I'll give you a call sometime and arrange a time for when we're both free

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread