+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iMacs not keeping WGM preferences in Technical; I have a conundrum, a riddle if you will. I have an iMac lab with 20 machines bound to AD/OD, ...
    Thank Post

Question iMacs not keeping WGM preferences

I have a conundrum, a riddle if you will. I have an iMac lab with 20 machines bound to AD/OD, with an odd situation. Instead of losing their AD binding they lose their OD binding or do not refresh their preferences. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, we have not found a recurring situation. We are continually perplexed and I was wondering if anyone here on edugeek had some suggestions. These are dual booting XP as well, if that helps a bit. If you need more information, I'll try and give out as much as I can.

Thanks for the help

Thank Post
    I have not come across this exact issue before but I have come across computers that would lose connection with the OD server that cause settings to get dropped.

A few questions:
    • Do the settings take effect if you restart the Macs into OS X?
    • What version of OS X Client are you running?
    • What version of OS X server are you running?
    • How often are they booted into Windows?
    • Can you confirm that when you boot into the Windows side & OS X side that the time is correct?

Thank Post
    Hi, We have recently had this issue on a Novell eDirectory integration. What we found is there is a glitch if you have scheduled startup/shutdown configured in WGM on the iMac's. Switching this off in Energy Saver has cured our problem. What was happening for us is occasionally a user would logon and receieve no WGM preferences, they would then log off and back on and the preferences would apply no problem.

Thank Post
    Thanks ahunter, I believe that the power schedule was our issue, they seem to be doing fine as of late. There still seems to be a few controls that aren't taking hold, one being the directory status button on the login screen showing on some and not others. It is still a little baffling, but the major controls are holding.

Thank Post
    Not a problem, glad I could help. With regards to the Directory status showing on the login screen and not on others. We experience the same issue its completely intermittent and seems to resolve itself after a reboot. Not sure what causes it I think its just a temporary glitch but I'm glad the major preferences are holding for you.

Just following on from the power schedule issue. We have incorporated the power schedule into our images in order to still powerup/shutdown our machines automatically. This seems to work fine and does not have any affect on any other preferences not applying, just a thought if you still want to configure the powerup/shutdown.
    Last edited by ahunter; 2nd March 2011 at 08:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Yeah, the power shcdule is my next step. On the whole, I am not impressed with WGM. Having working with both GPO and WGM, GPO seems to be more stable and reliable with the update of policies. On the whole, the entire AD structure, I think, is better implemented from an admin standpoint.

This coming from someone who uses a Mac daily, and could be considered somewhat of a fanboy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread